The Federal Trade Commission has many handy publications, including this guide to disputing credit report errors. It’s really just a three-step process:

  1. Obtain a copy of your credit report — The Fair Credit Reporting requires that each of the three major credit reporting agencies provide you with a free copy of your credit report once per year. But you have to request it. Do that through or by calling 877-322-8228.
  2. Notify the consumer reporting company of any errors — If you find errors, contact the company in writing with the information that you think is inaccurate. If you have documentation, include it. (Always send copies, never originals.) The FTC provides a sample letter.
  3. Notify creditors of any errors — Contact the company that provided the data in writing with the information that you think is inaccurate. Again, provide copies of any applicable documentation. Most companies (especially credit card companies) have a specific phone number or address for disputes.

You should take names and employee ID numbers any time you have direct contact with an individual. This may seem like an unnecessary step, but it helps lend your documentation needed validity.

Read the entire publication at the FTC web site.

GRS is committed to helping our readers save and achieve their financial goals. Savings interest rates may be low, but that is all the more reason to shop for the best rate. Find the highest savings interest rates and CD rates from Synchrony Bank, Ally Bank, GE Capital Bank, and more.

Disclaimer: This content is not provided by any company mentioned in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed here are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any such company.