I don’t watch much television; I’m more of a books and magazines and newspapers kind of guy. But I’ll make an exception this Friday. ABC will be broadcasting a special entitled Un-Broke: What You Need to Know About Money. According to the website:
Schools teach us almost everything, but not “Money 101.” For the basics on finance, turn to UN-BROKE: What You Need to Know About Money. It’s an unconventional look at the fundamentals of everyday finance with all the facts about credit cards, mortgages, stocks and bonds, investing and 401(k)’s, in a fresh new format combining information and humor. The one-hour special airs FRIDAY, MAY 29 (9:00-10:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.
The special’s take on basic money sense includes:
- Will Smith, who gets down to basics with a boardroom full of corporate finance executives.
- Samuel L. Jackson, who appears as a bestselling author of self-help books and who is “Broke as Hell and Not Going to Take it Anymore!”
- The Jonas Brothers, who teach screaming teenage girls the mysteries of the stock market.
- Seth Green, who explains the fundamentals of a smart mortgage from his “crib”.
- Cedric the Entertainer, who talks back to credit cards.
- Christian Slater and Rosario Dawson, who visit an office workplace to explain the importance of investing in a 401(k) retirement plan.
- The E*Trade Babies, who meet host Mellody Hobson for an online chat from their high chairs.
Here’s a preview video:
There’s some good info there, but the video seems a little, I don’t know, frantic to me. But who knows? If the message of fiscal responsibility can reach a few more people, it’s all good.
Update: Rumor has it that some folks will be watching this and commenting via Twitter using the #unbroketv hashtag.
[Thanks to Tyler K. and Mrs. Micah for the tip!]
SEARCH FOR RECENT ARTICLES