Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:47 am

Post subject: Howdy from a young'un
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:56 am 

Good morning all (to most of the people reading this, I think it's safe to assume it's morning). I joined the forums yesterday, but never said hi, so here I am now.

I am indeed a youngun: in my mid twenties and quite trying to get rich, where rich is "I'll never have to worry about money, so long as I'm not dumb with it". Seems like a worthy goal. I'm gainfully and stably (knock on wood!) employed, experimenting with a few side projects which might one day turn an income, and already discovered the joy (and pain) of compound interest. All that said, I like to tweak a good thing, so here I am :-)

As for my subject line, it brings up a question that's bugged me for a bit. Does somebody who displays an obvious regional dialect (I live in the Atlanta GA area, but I'm not from that part of the US: the howdy was a lame joke) seem more ignorant or even less intelligent than somebody who speaks "standard American?" For bonus points, does this happen in other cultures? Is there dialect-based prejudice in Canada? England? Germany? My guess is that there is, and my real interest ATM is the thought experiment over reasons and consequences, but let's not get ahead of ourselves :P

So, yes. Hi!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:30 pm 

That's a really interesting question. I think that I naturally tend to think people who have better enunciation and articulation are more intelligent. I'd never really thought about it but yeah, there it is.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:04 pm 

You can try, but you can't take away my "Baby of the Board" title! Is there anyone here under 20 yet?

As for your question, it could just be because I'm from the north, but I do have a certain ingrained dialect prejudice. I don't mean to think that way, it's just a reaction. That said, my own accent is rather ridiculous. The entire city of Rochester doesn't seem to be able to pronounce any vowel other than "a."

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:11 pm 

Where I'm from, it's half and half for people who have "hick" accents. Being a person who doesn't have much of an accent, and a critical ear to enunciation, I think that I also tend to be somewhat judgmental of those with accents or poor enunciation as well. I think it also depends on how removed you are from people with different linguistical nuances. Foreign accents seem to bring out preconceived notions about that particular culture as well. Hearing Ebonics and Pigeon English doesn't make my mind scream intelligent. Not that this is right, just blabbering.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:10 am 

deleted deleted deleted deleted deleted deleted

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill