Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:35 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 464 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:27 pm 

Hello, forum people. I'm Heather, 28, and I live in the Midwest with my partner. Get Rich Slowly wasn't on my radar until January of this year, when some Google search or another introduced me to the site. Reading through the archives provided me with several weeks of entertainment and education; J.D.'s journey out of debt was particularly riveting and in some ways helped me better understand a few acquaintances who can never quite get their financial house in order. Now that I'm caught up with the archives my attention has turned to the forums, which are just as informative as J.D.'s blog posts, especially as we try to decide how to invest our growing nest egg. You've all created a great community here and I'm happy to have found it.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:16 pm 

Welcome, Heather! Why not start a personal Financial Journal in the Fiscal Fitness Journals section?

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:20 am 

Hi everyone! Jennifer Gwennifer here. Been reading GRS for about a year now and it's got me raring to go when it comes to starting an IRA, budgeting, planning for the future and maybe even learning about investing one day.

I'm a 25 year old grad student, born, raised and educated in Maine - I’ll be graduating this winter. I currently have no debt (school or consumer), own my car and save 33% of my income. I’ve been able to save up a large emergency fund over the past few years, but I’m determined to leave it as just that, dipping into it as little as possible.

I’m just starting out on a lot of things. Next year I’ll be looking for my first “adult” job, getting my own health insurance (thanks Obama for raising the age to 26!), and figuring out how to use my education to have a local impact for the people and places I care about. I’m interested in frugal living, as well as implementing environmentally-conscious and sustainable habits and life choices. In the next ten years I plan on traveling a lot, building the tiny house of my dreams, and having a humongous vegetable garden. But first, I guess I should go write my thesis… :D

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:48 am 

Howdy all!
I happen to know JerichoHill on another webforum, and am slowly implementing his and others' good advice into my financial life. My wife and are in our 40s-50s, an underwater mortgage (bought the house 5yrs ago) and about $40K of credit card debt that we're starting to dig out of after a few expensive homeowner crises over the last couple years. Looking forward to reading more good ideas and good advice.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:21 pm 

I just wanted to introduce myself. I was in the newspaper industry for 15 years, but the industry is slowly dying. I was recently unemployed and I am currently delivering newspapers to get by. I have always wanted to be my own boss, but (big BUT) not sure what niche to pursue.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:28 am 

Hi,

My name is obvious ;) I live in Brisbane, Australia with my wife. We both work, have a few credit card debts, a personal and a house loan.

Been looking for some ideas on how to get on top of our financial situation. The best thing I've picked up so far is the use of the debt snowball, and I'm already applying it. As I dredge through the archives I'm hoping to find a few more tid bits.

Cheers,

GT

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:32 am 

Hi. I found this forum recently and enjoyed reading the posts very much. I browse a lot of finance articles on yahoo and places like that but I am excited about joining so I can talk to real people, ask questions, learn from, and contribute.
I also like the anonymity the forum provides. It's hard to talk about finances with people you know since you don't always want to reveal too much. I guess my other issue is that I don't have many people who I can mentor me financially. I look up to my parents because they are great people, very frugal, and accomplished a great deal despite modest incomes. They taught me a lot, we discuss everything, and exchange advice on many life matters, however they are extremely risk averse and old fashioned. They don't think it's a good idea to invest in anything that is not a sure thing. We are also from Russia so they don't believe in IRA, 401K, and so on (and don't think I should be doing it either). My risk tolerance is very low for my age as well however I do think that a diverse portfolio of assets and the right asset allocation is the best way to archive long term goals so I certainly participate in all of those things and more. Looking forward to some interesting discussions. Later.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:04 pm 

Hi guys,
I'm Jake Funnell and I'm currently assassinating my student loan. ]:)

I moved to Brisbane, Australia from the US in 2007 and work in the finance industry. Since then I've been learning about money and turning my situation around. In June this year, I made a commitment to get a 2nd job and attack my remaining debt. Now I'm in full swing and I'd love to connect with other folks who are doing or want to do the same thing. Hope to catch you around!

Best,
Jake

Subscribers get the new course for FREE: The Smash Sallie Crash Course! Visit:
domoneybetter.com/subscribe

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:37 pm 

Hi all,

I'm PiggyB. I'm from Vancouver in Canada. I have learned a lot about saving money by reading GRS articles. I try living within my means and I am always interested in ways to cut down my expenses. Looking forward to learning and saving even more by joining this forum.

Cheers.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:16 am 

Hi everyone! I'm working on paying of a small credit card balance and a car totaling $15,085. The date for the pay off of those two should be sept 2013 with the current snowball. Hopefully sooner! We have also added our mortgage to our snowball and are aiming for a payoff date of May, 2017 if we never add another penny to our snowball than what we are paying right now. Of course we will be aiming for sooner!

I can't wait to see what I can learn here!!!!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:12 pm 

Hello, all -

I am bwookie from Chicago, IL and am 31 years old. I have been in student loan debt for what seems like forever (10years). I am married to a soon to be pharmacist. We have no other debt besides student loans. I have recently started a blog that will chronicle how we get ourselves out of 170,000 in student loan debt. (postive thinking)

http://170thou.blogspot.com/

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:10 pm 

Hello

I'm Frank from Denmark, Copenhagen. I'm a 21 year old, regular, clever guy.
I want to make a lot of money, be the guy that got away from the everyday life, and spend the rest of my days in a warm and beautiful place with but no worries at all.
I'm a student, planning on spending my next 6 years studying bio-medicine. I want to stack up on my money while I'm studying. Getting a steady job will be a hard time, so I want to focus on saving up where I can, while exploring my opportunities online.

I think the road to becoming wealthy, or whatever your goal is, can feel lonely sometimes, and I hope to make good aqquintances while I'm here.

Have a good day,

Frank

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:12 pm 

Hello folks,
My name is John. I'm 37. I have been simplifying and becoming more frugal over the last few years, while also cutting back on work, to do things i want to do in life (playing and listening to music, reading, cooking, spending time with friends and family...).
I find myself coming into the new year with NO DEBT! I want to keep it that way, and I'd like to start school in about a year. I'm going to be working more of a "normal" full time job in the upcoming year, and am looking forward to learning a lot from the boards.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:08 am 

Hello to all on this forum,

My name is Andrew, age 31, and I have been becoming more interested in my long term finances which focus around getting out of debt entirely. I found this site through searching on Google and agree with most of what I have read, and since your opinions match mine you must all be really smart. :D

I plan on putting together a financial journal in which I will detail my current debt distribution and plan to become debt free.

My current total debt is right aound 90K, and with my current strategy will be gone in less than eight years. I am not strugling with debt, but hope that posting a journal and keeping it up to date will motivate me to increase my debt reduction strategy.

Thanks,
Andrew

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:09 pm 

Hello everyone,
My name is Chelsea but I go by FinanceQueen. I'm your typical girl except I’m obsessed with finances. I love reading about credit scores, people getting out of debt, and people who stick it to “The Man”.
I’ve been reading the blogs and forums for a while but just posted in the forums for the first time. I thought I should introduce myself.
Anyway, that’s me in a nutshell.
FinanceQueen

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 464 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 31  Next