Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:05 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 31  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:06 pm 

Thank you! I'm super excited - I've only ever been a couple of times for a few days, but I really loved it and I'm glad to have a chance to "live" there before I graduate. It's my dream job in my dream city so it'll be great to experience it to be sure it's really what I want to devote my life to.

I am fretting about feeling like I'm going to charge anything at all - but I started out on a good foot and paid cash for my plane ticket, plus I have some credits from a canceled trip I can use for a ticket home (and back again, if I'm lucky enough to get the chance to move). My parents haven't been very willing to sit down and run the numbers with me - they wait for me to tell them what I think I need and how I want to do it, and then decide for themselves whether or not they like it and pull the rug out from under me a little - but between my bonds, my financial aid refund, and money from selling off "stuff" I should have enough for the trip, winter clothes (I'm in Alabama - it'll come as a shock to not be in the 90s til October!), a healthy start for a moving fund on top of a little money to get by until I get back in the swing of my retail job if I wind up back in Alabama.

Even though I'm having a little trouble getting the hang of tracking my spending, I'm trying hard to gear up for a "clean start" on a relatively fixed income - over the past couple of weeks I've cut out sweets, sodas, and too much fast food so that I can at least be over the caffeine and sugar cravings by the time I get there. Plus I'm hoping the regular schedule makes it easier for me to get into a routine I can set aside a regular time to work on my finances in.

Having to push back my plans to be debt-free is kind of tough, but it's nice to have resources like this to help me learn so I can be prepared to start attacking it again when my professional/living situation is finally sorted and semi-permanent again!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:32 am 

Hello everyone, I'm Patrick.

I run the personal finance blog, Cash Money Life. My blog has a little something for everyone, but there is also a special section for "military money" because I used to be in the military and know how hard it can be to find military specific money information sometimes.

Like everyone else here, I am interested in just about everything finance, as well as learning about personal development. I have more than a few areas where I can improve!

I see a few familiar names in these forums, but there are a lot of people I don't know and I look forward to sharing and learning from everyone.

J.D., I don't know why it has taken me so long to sign up for these forums... I've been reading your blog for a few months now! :wink:

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:57 am 

Hi everyone, I'm Tobias, a recent college grad trying to make it out in the modern world. I've been reading a number of finance/money columns and blogs to get advice on loan payment, building credit, etc. Glad to be here!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:12 am 

Hello everybody here!

I'm co-founder of http://moneytrackin.com, a free online substitute of Quicken/MS Money

I invite everybody to try the application and give us a little feedback or feature request. Our objective is to build a great tool to help everybody with personal finances.

Now Moneytrackin' supports accounting, transaction tagging, reporting, budget sharing with family or friends, import/export in other finance fileformats (like excel or quicken fileformats) and much more.

Also, we're developing a saving helper system based on user-generated tips. The idea is simple: moneytrackin' users can create & share tips for improving their finances, and then these tips are displayed to other users (only the relevant ones and in an unobtrusive manner).
Tips can be global (how to save on the electric bill) or local (a cheap gas-station), and they can also be commented, voted as favourites or as inappropiates.

If anybody wants to participate in the private beta and help increasing the community knowledge, write me at victor@moneytrackin.com. Let's build the 'Saving Wikipedia' together! Wink

Thank you very much!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:52 pm 

Hi folks!

My name is Bill Stevens and I started blogging at http://www.smartsavinginvesting.com to help my daughters and their friends get started on saving money and investing since they left college and are pursuing careers.

I have simply pointed out to them that they have gone from earning $0 dollars to $25K and $30K in their new professional jobs. So, they should certainly be able to save and invest. One of them is doing it but the other one has tons of excuses, a new car, a new place to live and a new cell phone and a new... :shock:

Like many folks, I've been through hell and back financially.

GRS is great.

Looking forward to these forums.

Bill

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:27 pm 

I'm known as the Millionaire Mommy Next Door. I climbed from minimum wage to over a million dollars in net worth, earning my wealth as an entrepreneur and equities investor. At age 40, my husband and I were able to retire. I live in the USA with my husband and young daughter. Financially free, we wake with the sun when we're rested, eager to spend the new day doing whatever we choose. I am passionate about helping others achieve economic success so they can experience the same freedom I enjoy.

I freely share my recipe for success, happiness and wealth at Millionaire Mommy Next Door (http://www.millionairemommynextdoor.blogspot.com), a personal-finance blog. Make sure to read my Baby Steps to Financial Freedom series (http://millionairemommynextdoor.blogspot.com/search/label/Baby%20Steps%20to%20Financial%20Freedom).

I pledge my blog's profits (from advertisement revenue) as micro-loans to sponsor small businesses operated by the world's working poor.

I look forward to discussing money and personal growth with GRS forum members!

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

Awesome, Millionaire Mommy. I've noticed you here-and-there in the pfblog community, but haven't found time to read your site until now. Your story is compelling. I'll have to check it out!

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Wow, I love this place.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:13 pm 

Hello All,

I've been pouring over pfblogs for the past couple of weeks, and I have to say that Get Rick Slowly and the accompanying forums are just what I was looking for. TONS of info.

I hope to contribute when I can. I work in the student financial aid field and am "this" close to getting my MBA, so if anybody has questions about either, fire away!

I've also recently started my own blog at makinggood.blogspot.com (sorry if its a little anemic at the moment).

Thanks!

Mike

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:58 pm 

Hi all, just signed up so I can join the discussions about personal finance and debt. I am 35, and have accumulated over $1 million in net worth by working and saving (I maintain a blog http://bloggingawayat.blogspot.com). "Get Rich Slowly" is pretty much my motto. I notice a few people from networthiq.com :)

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:42 am 

Hey everyone!
I just came across this forum while web surfing at work, what a great site!
About me, I am a Respiratory Therapist working the night shift (14years).
I am also a very proud husband, and father of 4 beautiful children. I am blessed beyond belief.
My career as a Respiratory Therapist is slowly winding down as I am in the midst of a career change.
My plans are to become a Financial Planner. It'll be weird leaving my "comfort zone", but it will be exciting at the same time. I am eager to learn, and have a wonderful person to mentor me. It won't be easy, but most things in life you really want don't come easy anyways. I'm up for the challenge, and welcome the change.
I'll close for now, just wanted to say hello to everyone here.
Kind regards,
Barry
:D

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:12 am 

Hey everybody. I've been reading grs for about 6 months now and finally decided to join the forums. I'm two years removed from college and so a lot of my financial issues revolve around saving for a home, financing a wedding, preparing to have kids, etc... I'm also big into investing. I'm happy to be a part of these forums and I look forward to participating!

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Hello to all!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:41 pm 

I happened upon Get Rich Slowly a couple of days ago in my quest for information on Roth IRAs. It was quite a fortuitous coincidence, as the GRS blog was more helpful on that front than the two finance books I bought at Barnes and Noble and the Wiki-page I found combined. Much obliged, because I just opened my IRA as well as my first mutual fund account today!

So, by way of introduction, my name is Carly and I'm your average lowly college student. Well. Somewhat above average, in my estimation, but for all intents and purposes relatively average and lowly. I have pretty much no credit history, nor any great financial dilemmas waiting casually around the corner of my future to rough me up and rifle through my pockets (as I am on scholarship, yay). Financially, I am boring. But due to an offhand comment from my mother, dispensed along with her typical bite-sized daily wisdoms, I've found myself diving head-first into the land of finances.

I am untutored. I am unskilled. But I'm fascinated, and I figure the best way to learn is to do.

It's good to be here. So thanks for having me!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:52 pm 

Cheers folks.

By way of essential statistics, I'm 24, married, a pet owner, and in debt.

I live west of Seattle in Kitsap County. It's beautiful, but remote.

Currently I work full-time as a contractor on a Naval base. I also work as a 'Professional Pet Care Provider' (I frolic with dogs and soothe cats.), from which I take immense satisfaction and pleasure. I am also attending a community college, in the aims of augmenting my B.A in Sociology with some computer programming skills.

In being here at GRS, my interests are focused on understanding my relationship with money and gaining control as a result. I aim to be able to identify and make responsible, sustainable choices - in regards to both money and my life at-large.

Any my favorite colour is green. ^__^

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:19 pm 

Hi all -

Just signed up for the forums. Have been reading the blog and the boards for a few months though.

About myself - I'm 24, living in Orange County and working in Los Angeles (expensive places to be, I'm afraid), and am looking to figure out the best ways to put some money away for a distant retirement. I've enjoyed reading the blog and these forums, and looking forward to participating in them!

Cheers!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:04 am 

Hello!

I've been reading GRS for a few months now but have yet to fully explore the forums. However, I come to you with a 401k question which I will post in another area.

I'm 32, in loads of debt ($50k+) with little to show for it, and with big hopes for my not too distant future. I learned about Dave Ramsey a few months back when I switched careers and got a $12,000 raise but still couldn't figure out how to pay all of my bills. A severe reality check later and I've got a working budget, have paid off all of my small debts, and have even begun to tithe to my beloved church. Now comes the long, slow road of chipping away at the credit card and huge old student loan.

My boyfriend and I hope to get married within the next year, so a lot of what I'm doing now will be changing at that point. I'm trying to get my life on as good a track as possible so I don't bring too much baggage into that relationship, though he knows that my debt burden will mostly fall on us as a couple. Our immediate goals are to buy his parents house when they retire in the next 3 years, and to arrange for me to be a stay at home (or maybe work from home) mom when we have kids.

So you can see we've got a big challenge ahead of us! I haven't even mentioned his debt.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 31  Next