If anyone is interested, I have scheduled a class series in Portland starting in early July and going through September. The classes are free. If you would like to attend any of them, just let me know. Here's the schedule:
Personal Finance 101 Series:
• Part 1: Goal Setting – Do you know what you want out of life? (7/9/07) Not every life goal revolves around money, but most take money to get there. Whether you want to buy a car next year or retire at 45, learn what the best ways to plan for your goals.
• Part 2: Budgets – How do I get one and why do I need one? (7/26/07)Learn the basics of establishing a personal budget. Do you have a Latte Factor in your life? Learn how to trim the fat and live within you means without feeling like you are missing out. Find out about various budgeting programs.
• Part 3: Debt – the good the bad and the ugly. (8/8/07)Learn the difference between good debt and bad debt. Get advice on how and when to pay down debt. Learn how to use debt to your advantage.
• Part 4: Credit – What is it and why do I care? (8/23/07)Learn what a FICO score is and how it can impact your life. Learn how to read your credit report and how to get rid of baddies. Get tips on how to establish and maximize your credit.
• Part 5: Investing – Stocks and Bonds and Funds, oh my! (9/10/07)Learn about different investment types and which work best based on your investing style. Learn about risk tolerance, how to evaluate expenses and how to make your life automatic.*
• Part 6: Retirement – 401k, 403b, Roth, IRA – what are they and which do I need? (9/25/07)Learn about various types of retirement accounts and the pros and cons for each. Find out how to maximize your retirement options.*
* Note: I will NOT be providing investment advice or recommending certain investment products. I will be giving you the knowledge you need to evaluate your options and make smart, informed decisions on your own.
You will not be asked to purchase any products and I will not make specific fund/stock recommendations during these sessions. Rather, the goal is to give you the knowledge to make your own decisions and learn how to take control of your money. I will in no way financially benefit from these classes.