dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Hello, My Name is Cheok. I have a Free Stock Market Software

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:50 am

Post subject: Hello, My Name is Cheok. I have a Free Stock Market Software
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:35 am 

Hello, my name is Cheok.

This is my first time here. Nice to meet you all.

I had written a free stock market software, to help me manage all my stock portfolio. I use it for my own investment purpose. I make the software completely free, so that other people may benefit out from it too.

In case you are interested, feel free to take a look ;)

http://jstock.sourceforge.net

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:55 am 

I was just about to dismiss it as spam when I noticed that your project is on sourceforge.

If this is truly a legitimate, open-source project, you have my full-hearted support and encouragement.

However, can you also please comment on the differences between this app and using existing cloud apps such as Yahoo Finance or Mint?

Last edited by ekrabs on Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

I'm inclined to give Cheok the benefit of the doubt here. SourceForge is where one would expect a decent app to be.

Cheok, what makes this app different?

Ekrabs: Here is the text of what SourceForge said:
Most of the investment monitoring programs available on the Web primarily target the United States stock market. Malaysian developer Yan Cheng Cheok had a tough time finding one for his country, so he decided to create one that would support multiple countries’ stock markets. Using the free data provided by Yahoo! Finance, his JStock program now supports markets in 23 countries.

Even though it’s free, JStock goes beyond basic stock monitoring and portfolio management features. For instance, it lets users filter potential stocks using custom-built indicators in real time. Indicator filters are still under development; currently they can use basic technical analysis formulas, but more complex indicators are in the works. JStock can also send SMS alerts to your mobile phone when a specified stock reached your targeted price.

Publicizing a new application can be tricky for small developers. Yan posted news of JStock’s availability to his local investor community’s forum, and spoke with a Malaysian newspaper editor, which led to a blurb in the paper. He says having a clean and clear web site with a download link that’s as visible as possible also helps.

Other keys to success, Yan says, include being sensitive to the needs of your users and treating user feedback seriously. “Their feedback gives you a hint about what is needed by the market.â€

Czar of GRS Forums.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:21 am 

ekrabs wrote:
I was just about to dismiss it as spam when I noticed that your project is on sourceforge.

If this is truly a legitimate, open-source project, you have my full-hearted support and encouragement.

However, can you also please comment on the differences between this app and using existing cloud apps such as Yahoo Finance or Mint?

One of the key which make me want to use my own application is that, it is easy to be used.

When I came back from a whole day tired work, I just able to

(1) double click on JStock
(2) clear summary about my stock investment performance just present in front of my eye

Compare when I use web browser to keep track my portfolio, I have to

(1) double click on firefox
(2) key in URL
(3) wait
(4) key in username and password
(5) wait
(6) click on portfolio link

This make me feel addicted to my own software :)

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill