Should I blame the 80's?

Information about Get Rich Slowly and these forums. Introduce yourself here!
This is also a great place to share your projects (blogs, for example) with other members.

Moderator: lvergon

ctrlaltdel

Should I blame the 80's?

Postby ctrlaltdel » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:05 am

This is very inspiring and so grateful of this site and all who post.

I've been divorced 2 yrs. now, made incredibly stupid money decisions all along the way - no savings & retirement, except the truck (now free and clear) and the dog (truly my best friend)! We have no kids thankfully and sold the house just as the market turned, was able to pay off almost all the cc debt with nothing left over.

Starting over at 40 yrs. old, and now seeing some bright spots. After downsizing from a 2400 sq. ft. home to a 2 bdrm apartment way beyond my means and maxing a credit card to do so, then downsizing to just a room, things are turning around. I've enjoyed getting rid of the weight of 'stuff', very liberating. The 'free and clear' truck started falling apart and the dog did too, racking up about $3500. in one year alone. But with that, my cousins took me in which cut my living expenses, I paid off the $2,500. maxed card, and attend an evening CAD class to hopefully change careers one day. Now have an EF of $3k and hope to keep this momentum rolling. Just one student loan now for debt of 28k. In the meantime, trying to keep my body as healthy as possible, my cheapest investment..sweat and running shoes! Thanks all!

Fiscal Fizzle

Re: Should I blame the 80's?

Postby Fiscal Fizzle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:43 pm

It's never too late to get started on turning things around! Unfortunately, there are people in their 60's and 70's getting divorced or losing their loved ones, and discovering that they have to start over financially.

Your story and others like you keeps US inspired! :) Thanks for sharing!
Wojciech Kulicki
Fiscal Fizzle, Personal Finance Blog

Return to “News & Announcements”