Pizza Hut waitress, and Off to London

Information about Get Rich Slowly and these forums. Introduce yourself here!
This is also a great place to share your projects (blogs, for example) with other members.

Moderator: lvergon

JerichoHill
Site Admin

Postby JerichoHill » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:43 am

To play Devil's advocate, Christianity, specifically Protestantism, HAS played a big part in work-life attitudes and cultural beliefs in American through its founding days and onwards. Perhaps a very well known saying would be to say someone has a "protestant work-ethic".

--NonDA mode

Who we are as a person plays a part in how we handle our wallets. It could be that we were raised in a debt-ridden house, went to church every sunday morning, were gay, loved sports, our parents hated reagan, your cousin beat your up repeatedly (Im just listing hypothetical examples). Our experience all play a role in how we handle our affairs.

Thus, for many folks, religion DOES play a role in how they make personal finance decisions. For others, religion plays no role. There isn't a one size fits all answers, sadly, the answer is that, it depends on who you are.

I normally view blog posts as opinion posts, with maybe some facts sprinkled in if you get lucky.

I don't know where FMF is, but I wont presuppose that FMF is running and hiding. Mebbah they're sick, or, like JD, on vacation.

Anyways, my point was to ensure that I handled that matter in a neutral and responsible matter. I think I accomplished that. Please leave any and all other feedback and Ill do my best. I'm going to try and make it more clearer for the casual surfer to know these are guest posts tonight.

PS: I have 3 upcoming guest posts. They're all about a house. Dont hate me for putting in vinyl windows.
C.R.E.A.M
Government Economist
CoffeeCents - PF lessons in 15 minutes
Czar of GRS Forums.

pf101

Postby pf101 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:56 am

JerichoHill wrote:I don't know where FMF is, but I wont presuppose that FMF is running and hiding. Mebbah they're sick, or, like JD, on vacation.

He's on his blog talking about this post.

Covert7

Postby Covert7 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:13 pm

Did the comment system in the article go boom? Is there a 100 limit cap? Just curious. And it was getting oh so interesting! :)

JerichoHill
Site Admin

Postby JerichoHill » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:34 pm

Covert,

I think people stop commenting on an article once its no longer the main article. Now everyone is on the renting vs. buying one.

I am still getting commenst on the religion article, and im approving them, but the bulk are now on the latest blog article.
C.R.E.A.M

Government Economist

Czar of GRS Forums.

Covert7

Postby Covert7 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:36 pm

Yeah, sorry about that! I just saw where they're coming in again. Patience next time! :D

nickel

Postby nickel » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:14 pm

pf101 wrote:Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed that he even allowed that as a guest post.

Allow it? He solicited it - he asked FMF to write a post about religion and finance.

As for the people that thought this post was written by JD, they clearly didn't even read the first sentence.

pf101

Postby pf101 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:24 pm

nickel wrote:
pf101 wrote:Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed that he even allowed that as a guest post.

Allow it? He solicited it - he asked FMF to write a post about religion and finance.

I realize that. However, I don't think he realized how the article would come across. Not as discussion but as preaching. Did he ask for a post discussing how religion and money can mix or one preaching about how it does? Had FMF started a discussion about whether religion was important to finance or solicited opinions about how people tie their religion to their finances it wouldn't have bothered me (and, I'd guess, many others) as much. But being TOLD (from only one perspective) that is IS important I found really offensive.

I also wonder if FMF warned him about the potential consequences of this post. FMF says he's used to it but I'm guessing JD isn't so may not have realized how many people would be offended and alienated by this. I feel really bad for him for when he goes back to read this. Hopefully he won't do it until he gets back.

JerichoHill
Site Admin

Postby JerichoHill » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:32 pm

I think we've covered this religion topic. I just really wanted to confirm the okay-ness of my actions.
C.R.E.A.M

Government Economist

Czar of GRS Forums.

Dylan
Site Admin

Postby Dylan » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:46 pm

JerichoHill wrote:I think we've covered this religion topic. I just really wanted to confirm the okay-ness of my actions.

Good okay-ness, JH..

nickel

Postby nickel » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:55 pm

JerichoHill wrote:I think we've covered this religion topic. I just really wanted to confirm the okay-ness of my actions.

JH: FWIW, I think that you did the right thing -- apparently JD's (and FMF's) intros weren't sufficient to make it clear to people that this was a guest post.

As for the suggestions that this should have been phrased as a question, or presented in some other way, I don't see it that way at all. As I understand it, JD asked FMF to write about his view of how religion and money fit together. And that's what FMF did. Not that I agree with the contents of the post, but it wasn't personally offensive either. I just kind of shrugged my shoulders and said "whatever."

FMF even prefaced his article by saying:

"I’d like to discuss why I think a person’s religion should impact their finances."

How is that "arrogant, offensive and disrespectful"? He's clearly expressing a personal opinion, not stating things as fact and then passing judgment on all who disagree. To me, all the people trashing him without even having read it are being arrogrant and disrespectful. If you're seriously offended by someone expressing an opinion then, well... You need to toughen up. If you disagree with him, then take him on and dismantle his arguments. Frankly, the vast majority of responses were shallow, knee-jerk reactions that weren't all that well thought out.

As an aside, it's fascinating to me how people can respectfully disagree on so many things, but when someone tosses God in the ring, the gloves come off.

Oh well, if nothing else, this post got JD a nice fat link from The Consumerist, where there was an equally divisive "discussion" going on.

Covert7

Postby Covert7 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:14 pm

Well, I think it's about time for everyone on both sides of this issue to get their knickers untwisted and let's move on to more productive ground. Amiright?!

C'mon, whose up for a good ol' discussion on hedge funds or something else equally spicy?! :wink:

plonkee

Postby plonkee » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:54 am

Ah yes, hedge funds the divisive issue everyone has an opinion on :lol:
In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them. John von Neumann

uk personal finance and religion and atheist

JerichoHill
Site Admin

Postby JerichoHill » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:09 am

Lets all get nickel for having 4 boys. What about the girls nickel!!!!

:P
C.R.E.A.M

Government Economist

Czar of GRS Forums.

jdroth
Site Admin

Postby jdroth » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:48 am

My battery is low, and I can't find a US-to-UK three-prong adapter, so I'm going to compose a quick blog entry about this.

nickel

Postby nickel » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:44 am

Just don't go pushing me down from the top of your front page... ;)

Return to “News & Announcements”