dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Pizza Hut waitress, and Off to London

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:25 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:52 pm 

JD, we're sorry we made a mess while you were away. We promise it won't happen again! :)

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:31 am 

What a joke. Sorry to say it, but JD just slipped down about 3 notches in respectability for allowing this dreck as a guest post. Good think he's got enough in the bank to cover it :)

I'm not opposed to the idea of discussion of personal values and morals and finances, but that guest post was just terribly poor taste. I've never read FMF before, but if that's any indication of the junk they serve up, I'll do well to remain far away.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:41 am 
Site Admin

The religion thing was so Monday. Let's drop it. This horse has been beaten to death enough

Czar of GRS Forums.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:54 am 

Sorry, but it seems to me that almost everything to do with personal finance is a discussion of personal values. responsibility, self-reliance, accountability are a major part of what's discussed here, and on other PF sites. I'm curious what people are finding so offensive about this post? The post is presented as opinion, and makes no attempt to pretend to be anything other than the author's point of view regarding how religious belief has an influence on how, and why, particular choices are made, using the author's own beliefs as an example. Was the information provided harmful in any way? Was the advice bad? Or is it simply a case of people not being secure enough in their own beliefs to be comfortable hearing someone else discuss an alternative.

Religion or otherwise, it seems to me that many people take offense, not because something is actually in any way offensive, but because they are unwilling to accept challenges to what they believe. Examining your personal beliefs is hard, challenging them, and examining them is stressful and most people would rather go about their day without that kind of work.

If you disagree with something that was said, write a refutation of what was said. Attacking the author, the person who provided the author with a forum to express themselves, or the overall belief system demonstrates nothing to me but insecurity, not any actual intelligence in regards to the subject.

(gee, can you tell this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine? I do carry on sometimes.)

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:02 am 
Site Admin

Mory,

I know. And I agree. I think the attacking the person stems from the anonymity of the internet. We're all avatars here, except for folks who have used their real names, like JD. So its easy to chuck a rock whilst hiding because the consequences on the internet are small, whereas to say the things some folks have said in the last few days in real life would engender more consequences...and thusly prevent said behavior from occuring.

First religion, then stay at home moms. Whats next?

Czar of GRS Forums.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:03 am 
Site Admin

guinness416 wrote:
I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, or picket JD's house, but I really thought it was a poorly written post more than anything else (as I think I commented over there). The title alone was presumptive and asking for people to get their backs up. It could have been a really interesting article if he'd emailed a few Muslim/Jewish/Atheist/lapsed/whatever bloggers and friends to get their take on the subject, or written about values, but the whole tone was just off in my opinion, and the half-assed effort to include "other religions" didn't help. And I'm also sympathetic to those who don't want religious rhetoric invading their spaces - people get possessive of their favourite blogs, that's a good thing for the writers I would think.

For example sake's, I feel this is an example of good criticism.

Czar of GRS Forums.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:05 am 

JerichoHill wrote:
I think the attacking the person stems from the anonymity of the internet...

First religion, then stay at home moms. Whats next?

I totally agree. It seems that, given the shroud of anonymity, nearly every discussion is destined to break down into nit-picking, arguing, trash-talking, etc. if there is a large enough audience. Even if only a small fraction of all readers are [abrasive individuals]*, a small fraction of a very large number of readers is still a lot of [abrasive individuals].

*Feel free to fill in your own descriptor here.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hey all -- not much time to check in here. Just a quick note to thank those of you holding things together. I wrote a quick and simple reply regarding FMF's post on Sunday, but have opted not to post it. I may mention something in my budget update on Saturday (providing I can find an internet connection -- ironically, it's easier to find free wifi in Wells (which is in the middle of nowhere in SW England) than it is to find it in London).

For those of you who frequent the forums and are curious, let me make it clear that I do not subscribe to the same religious beliefs as FMF. He is a devout Christian. I am not. However, despite the controversy his post generated, I would post it again. (And not *because* of the controversy.) I think personal finance is important for everyone, Christian or atheist.

However, discussions like this are exactly why I don't (and won't) cover politics and religion at this site on a regular basis. Make sense?

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:35 pm 
Site Admin

JD

I smell what your cookin

Czar of GRS Forums.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:33 am 

nickel wrote:
I totally agree. It seems that, given the shroud of anonymity, nearly every discussion is destined to break down into nit-picking, arguing, trash-talking, etc.

Oh will you please shut up? :twisted:

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3