Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:02 am

Post subject: Success Daily
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

Now that I'm back from vacation, I have time to focus on my priorities for this site (and related projects). Top on the list is moving to a dedicated server. This will set me back $200/month, but it'll be worth it. It'll bring stability to the site, which lately has begun to bog down even on normal days.

But beyond that, what should I do? I want to start a podcast (thanks to Brad's gift of a microphone!). I want to write a book. I want to add some subsections to Get Rich Slowly.

Well, the thing that most stands out for me is to begin Success Daily, a sort of companion site to GRS. I'm going to pursue that for the time being and see how it goes. It may actually be more like Success WEEKLY intitially, but that's fine.

To that end, I'm looking for topic suggestions and useful links that might be related to personal development. I have many already accumulated, but I'd love to have more. I want to follow Trent (of The Simple Dollar)'s example, and have a lot of stuff pre-written before launching the site. Anything you can contribute would be great!

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:15 pm 

I don't know if its relevant, but if you are interested in the decluttering part of self improvement, I recommend you look at the forums at http://www.organizedhome.com. Its incredibly supportive, although I estimate its more than 99.5% female.[/url]

http://plonkee.com and http://thereligiousatheist.com

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:04 am 

I guess you're already underway with creating posts for the new site, but I'll throw in my two shillings anyway.

One thing I find a bit overwhelming - and offputting - at some personal development blogs I've seen are posts that are just huge lists. "25 ways to motivate yourself to get to the gym" and so forth are more successful as headlines on the covers of women's magazines than entries popping up in a feed reader. I think you're a better writer than most of the other bloggers I've seen, so I don't think you'll fall into this habit, but please don't!

I'm interested in posts that have something I can work through in trying to solve a problem or learn something (the "Design Your Life" post over at zenhabits for instance, or various "101 Goals in 1001 Days" posts) and also examples of how the blogger, or a friend or commenter or whatever, worked through the strategy or is implementing it. I suppose it's linked to the "big lists" complaint, but dry content with no examples is another phoning-it-in post style I've seen on some blogs and it doesn't really work for me.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback, countess.

I haven't actually started at the other site yet. GRS takes more and more of my time! :roll:

And I appreciate your comments on blogging style. I'm an over-analytical fella, and I often wish I had more feedback on the sorts of posts that appeal to people. I think the truth is that everyone likes something different, so I try to mix things up: some lists, some reviews, some how-to, some personal anecdotes, some news summaries.

I think that I tend to ramble on too much, and that's something I'd like to work on. Also, it wouldn't hurt to have more practical application posts at Get Rich Slowly.

I've actually considered taking a week to test a Lifehacker-style system where I post, say, TEN items a day, but only one of them is of significant length. I'm not sure how this would work, but it appeals to me. But not for now. I don't have the time right now. :)

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:06 pm 

You're a good writer who doesn't compose posts just to grab Diggs, so probably my comments wouldn't apply to a JD Roth blog anyway!

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill