Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:01 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:36 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
How about whoever comes up with the best idea for a contest to win the Wii wins the Wii? Ha.

Believe it or not, I actually thought of that one. I thought it was pretty funny, too.

Quote:
Of course it is JD's decision, but he requested our thoughts and these are mine!

You guys all have great ideas so far. I'm leaning toward the writing project, though the topic is yet to be determined. I need to research how Darren at ProBlogger handles these. I'd allow entries from two sources: a forum post in a specific thread and posts on individual blogs than link back to GRS. The advantages for me are increased exposure.

The Wii itself would be awarded to a random participant, provided that the participant met certain minimum requirements and wasn't just throwing up some random gobbledygook to get entered in the contest. I would also give away some of my personal finance books to other participants, and possibly an Amazon gift certificate or two. The advantage to participants is that they have a chance to win something cool.

The contest itself would feature a story or a tip or something. I agree that it's not fair to give long-time bloggers and advantage, so I'm not going to ask for a full-fledged article. I might ask for:

* A personal finance success story.
* A "money hack" (though Kris tells me this concept is too esoteric).
* The best piece of personal finance advice the writer has ever heard (a la Liz Weson).
* Some sort of Anti-Advertising contest. I know this is a pet subject of mine, and I worry that it gets tiresome, but I really love the idea espoused by Take Back Your Brain, where you advertise to yourself in an effort to fight against actual commercials. A contest of this sort would be a little more difficult, because participants would need to know how to create image-based ads (though high-quality is not really a concern).
* Etc.

My goal is to have participants produce content that is useful to readers. The advantage to readers is that they get to learn something cool, or so I hope.

Anyhow -- that's where I'm at on this. I hope to have something decided and implemented by the end of the weekend. But "best laid plans" and all that...

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

i definitely think we need to do an article contest.

Czar of GRS Forums.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

As for who would decide, JD should bring in a few folks who arent publishing any articles. Im game because I already have a wii

Czar of GRS Forums.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

I've got it!

See this thread --> http://www.getrichslowly.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=684

You could have a contest to find a new photo for the GRS header -- winner gets the wii.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2