What efforts are made by GRS to improve the forums?

Anything goes. But keep it civil, please.

Moderator: lvergon

DaveInPgh

What efforts are made by GRS to improve the forums?

Postby DaveInPgh » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:33 am

Please do not take this as a pot shot. It is something I am seriously curious about. I have received some great advice from this forum but eventually stopped logging on because the lack of activity. I decided to log on today to see what type of topics were being discussed, and discovered that only two threads were active yesterday. Only one so far today. Just 15 overall in the first 10 days of the year.

There are a lot of smart people on this forum, but I completely understand why there is not a lot of new members posting questions. They look and notice no one is posting and realize their questions might take days to get answered if at all. I have had threads like that.

Just seems to me that the forums are a very low priority to GRS. :(

DaveInPgh

Re: What efforts are made by GRS to improve the forums?

Postby DaveInPgh » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:45 am

WHO IS ONLINE
Users browsing this forum: DaveInPgh

geoff_tewierik

Postby geoff_tewierik » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:37 pm

Spam and the period of time in which I wasn't actually able to log in, effectively killed off my use of this forum.

JD had the same problem with being blocked and AFAIK still does.

LMoot

Postby LMoot » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:46 am

MMM is like a 6 lane highway where you're more likely to get run over or passed up, than to make your destination, and GRS is a lone dirt, country road. We need a happy medium. I haven't logged in b/c of the inactivity (I realize in doing that I'm contributing).

I'm also wondering if the PF "fad" is fading with the economy rebounding (rebounded?). It's been nearly a decade since the recession and economic health no longer seems to be the hot topic.

jeffnev

Postby jeffnev » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:15 am

I entirely agree. We need a happy medium.

Unfortunately, I too; login, see the lack of active threads and immediately log out. In fact, I haven't regularly posted in what feels like (and probably is) years. The responsibility lies with the old timers to start bringing some healthy discussion to the table. I know that personal finance on Reddit is very popular, maybe we should be taking a leaf or two out of their book?

VinTek

Postby VinTek » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:30 pm

jeffnev wrote:I haven't regularly posted in what feels like (and probably is) years.

11 posts in 3 years. Did you ever really regularly post?

jeffnev wrote:The responsibility lies with the old timers to start bringing some healthy discussion to the table.

11 posts and you feel authoritative enough to declare what the responsibilities of the old timers are? After 3 years, should you be considered an old timer? Maybe some of us old timers have just gotten tired of newcomers failing to step up over the years and make contributions.

TCstr8

Postby TCstr8 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:15 am

No new articles on the home page since April. Little to no traffic on the message boards. Shame to see, as not to long ago seemed like the site and the forum were great sources of info for folks. Do any of the mods know if the site is going to be active (new articles) or is it getting to the point that it needs to be taken out behind the barn?
T.C. Strait
Ohio Loan Officer / Manager @ Mortgage Broker
NMLS ID 164070
http://www.ohiomortgagesolutions.com
http://www.ohiofha.com

kombat

Postby kombat » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:14 am

Yeah, this site, and the forums, pretty much died when JD cashed out.

LMoot

Postby LMoot » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:55 am

The company that runs GRS deals in advertisement, not content. That might fly with dlist topics like beauty/fashion and celebrity news, but we are not the audience for infomercials, not very well disguised, as fluff articles. The ironic thing is, they don't even seem to know how to manage their own investment.

TCstr8

Postby TCstr8 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:21 am

What other forums would you say are similar to what it used to be like here? Laid back, informative, etc.? I'm always happy to dispense some mortgage knowledge, but when it comes to other areas of finance, I defer to the more knowledgeable. And I've learned alot from some of the fine folks here. Would love to find another similar forum to frequent.
T.C. Strait
Ohio Loan Officer / Manager @ Mortgage Broker
NMLS ID 164070
http://www.ohiomortgagesolutions.com
http://www.ohiofha.com

geoff_tewierik

Postby geoff_tewierik » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:40 pm

I find the Journals section of MMM interesting, not so much the other areas of that forum.

DaveInPgh

Postby DaveInPgh » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:16 am

TCstr8 wrote:What other forums would you say are similar to what it used to be like here? Laid back, informative, etc.? I'm always happy to dispense some mortgage knowledge, but when it comes to other areas of finance, I defer to the more knowledgeable. And I've learned alot from some of the fine folks here. Would love to find another similar forum to frequent.

I moved on to SavingAdvice.com for awhile, but that was purchased by a blogger that is beyond bizarre. The moderators of the forum were repeatedly calling him out for derailing threads. Someone might post something about mortgage refinance and he would reply with something about saving on car insurance. It was the strangest thing.

I stopped going to that site and really haven't been on any Personal Finance site regularly.

Still need to check the boards to see if this site has improved. Crossing my fingers!

Return to “General Discussion”