dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Interviewing for a job while you already have a job.

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:32 pm

Post subject: Interviewing for a job while you already have a job.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:41 pm 

I wanted to get some advice for some other people who have been in this situation.

I just recently received and accepted a job offer with a company and not two days later I got a voicemail message about another company offering an interview for me. How should I handle this? They are a really good company and I don't want to burn bridges with them. I want to stay at the job I'm at for at least my contract length(which is 6 months long) so I somehow want to say that I'm interested, just not at this point right now.

Any advice on how to handle this? Thanks :)

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Interviewing for a job while you already have a job.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:18 pm 

i think you should go on the interviewing , it won't hurt.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:31 am 

I don't know that I'd do the interview. Best case scenario: they love you, they want to hire you, you tell them you need 6 months to finish the contract, they say fine. Second best case scenario: they love you, they want to hire you, you tell them you need 6 months, they get pissed that you wasted their time and you never hear from them again.

Presumably if they're doing more than one project, they'll still have work in 6 months. If you don't think that's the case (i.e. that they'll hire one person and no one else for years), then you have the choice to forego your current contract in favor of this interview. But that would both burn bridges with your current company, and an interview isn't a job offer.

I have only been marginally involved in hiring processes, so I'm hardly an expert, but I'd much rather hear "I'm really interested in your company and this role, but I just signed a contract for 6 months and I want to follow through, can I contact you in 5 months to see what roles you have available?" than to waste a bunch of time interviewing for a position that's available now with a person who isn't.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:37 pm 

I pretty much agree with what peaceofmind said. But I'd also remind you that employment contract in the US are binding only on the employer. Just because you have a 6 month contract does not mean you can't quit earlier. It just means they can't get rid of you before that. In general employment contracts that require you to keep working are banned by the laws against slavery.

That said, I would approach the situation by making sure that the company that wants to interview you is aware of your situation and your intent not to leave your current company in the lurch. If anything I think that would be seen as a positive. If they like you enough they might be willing to wait for you.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:56 am 

I'd go on the interview and hear what they have to say. I've seen companies hire 20 workers and then lay them off two weeks later. You work for yourself, even when on someone else's payroll.

That being said, if the other job is a similar 6 month type contract job, it wouldnt be worth burning one brigde just to land a 6 month job, plus like the others said, they will probably have more contract oppurunities open in the future. Just let them know the situation. If its a permanent full time job there is zero morally or ethically wrong with interviewing and/or taking the job when offered.

I've been offered contract work only to have the offer rescinded before everything gets signed due to "overstaffing". Companies will do whatever is in their own best interests, so you should too.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:46 am 

I vote for going on the interview. Who knows? They might take six months to finally accept you and get you started. That's kind of what happened to a friend - he interviewed for a position in last December, and they kept telling him "We really like you, but we need to see what the budget will be like for next year." (He was unemployed, fwiw). He was finally officially hired and started in April.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:25 pm 

Thanks for the advice guys! I decided to "reschedule" the interview until my contract is nearing its end date. I would have absolutely gone on the interview except I had *just* signed a contract with someone else. The good news is, I told the interviewer what had happened and he seemed more than happy to talk to me again when I'm nearing my contract end date. He asked me to contact him again sometime in January to see if he can set something up for me when my contract ends in March. I might have shot myself in the foot by not taking the interview now, but then again, I might have made myself look more desirable by being employed haha!

I think the industry I'm working in seemed to help too. Timing is everything in the entertainment field, so my interviewer didn't sound too bummed. I'm just hoping something will be open by the time my contract ends.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:02 pm 

hmm generally , u should go the interview first , only gods know that you can pass or fail . Don't be so sure of something . My teacher used to tell us that when you have a job , don't stop looking for another , because life is full of opportunity , don't waste it

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill