dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Is it ethical to game the system?

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:52 am

Post subject: Re: Is it ethical to game the system?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:16 am 

I'd think if people focused on themselves, working and saving money and paying their own way they'd be way further ahead than the time they spend trying to work the system.

Why should anyone get anything they didn't earn? Personally I don't want the government being in my personal business at all.

I know people who live their lives making sure they skate the income line to qualify for food stamps, and know exactly how to get fired and still get benefits. I had an employee turn down health insurance coverage so he could get his family on medicaid. Yes, they are "working" the system - some see that as a positive, I see that as a negative.

I'll make my own way in the world thank you very much.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:36 pm 

AmyD wrote:
I'd think if people focused on themselves, working and saving money and paying their own way they'd be way further ahead than the time they spend trying to work the system.

Why should anyone get anything they didn't earn? Personally I don't want the government being in my personal business at all.

I know people who live their lives making sure they skate the income line to qualify for food stamps, and know exactly how to get fired and still get benefits. I had an employee turn down health insurance coverage so he could get his family on medicaid. Yes, they are "working" the system - some see that as a positive, I see that as a negative.

I'll make my own way in the world thank you very much.

Hear, hear Amy. Well said.

I'd like to point out to anyone wishing to game any gov't system by not working that for these non-working years...in this case let's assume it's 4 years until the kid graduates...that a big fat ZERO will be computed into your Social Security earnings for each of those years. This will have a big impact on that future S.S. check that you're expecting in your golden years.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:55 pm 

Tightwad wrote:
I'd like to point out to anyone wishing to game any gov't system by not working that for these non-working years...in this case let's assume it's 4 years until the kid graduates...that a big fat ZERO will be computed into your Social Security earnings for each of those years. This will have a big impact on that future S.S. check that you're expecting in your golden years.

True but not necessarily as bad as it seems. I plan to retire early. I have done this calculation in detail.

Your top 35 years of earnings (after adjustment for wage inflation) are used to calculate your SS benefit. For the average college-educated person who starts work at 22, the 35 year period is accumulated by age 57. And the early years end up counting a whole lot more than it would seem. My years right out of college, after applying teh correct wage inflation factor, give me more "credit" than I get in a year now even though I make far more now.

There is also a maximum benefit that many people reach if they have worked most of that 35 years as a professional.

I plan to retire at 52 so I will miss out on several years of earnings credit. But, the impact on my SS payments at age 67 will be $17 a month. Not a big deal and certainly not an incentive to work the extra 15 years. (which is part of the problem with SS!).

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2