Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:52 pm

Post subject: Is GRS slipping, or have my needs just changed?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:04 am 

I am a long time reader of GRS. This is not meant to be incendiary, it's an honest question from a fan.

Over the past month I've found myself less and less compelled by the blog. I know that JD was on vacation, so that might be the crux of the problem. But overall I've found the posts less interesting, less comment-worthy (others seem to agree, the # of comments per post has dropped).

Has the quality of posts dropped, or is it just a case of "it's not you, it's me?" In other words, now that I am out of debt, saving regularly, striving for and meeting financial goals, am I simply not the target market for GRS, and thus less interested?

Does anyone else feel this way?

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Is GRS slipping, or have my needs just changed?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:58 am 

I agree. I'm not yet to your point (finishing paying off debt, building up savings), but I find the personal stories the most interesting. If I want to learn about stock ratings, decision making, banking, negotiating, etc, I'll go get a book about that (the blog posts on those subjects recently were OK, but either 1) not enough to be useful to me 2) not relevant to me so I didn't care).

My favourite posts are the Sunday reader stories ones, since they're things I can't go research on my own, and I can usually relate to the subject (and they're generally either informative and/or motivating).

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Is GRS slipping, or have my needs just changed?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:37 pm 

I kind of agree with the OP.

When I first decided to change financial habits, I read everything I could find about personal finance, eventually leading here to GRS, where I read every blog post and found (almost) all of them fascinating.

Now being further along in my financial journey, basic topics no longer interest me. I've read 100 different versions of how to budget, save for retirement, etc...

So I find the topic as a whole less interesting. I still visit GRS daily, but I usually only read the entire post once or twice a week. Occassionally there is a great article, and thats why I keep coming back, but often I visit, skim the day's post, and then leave.

Part of it is me, being further along and less interested. Part of it is JD, being further along and (somewhat) less interesting. Because, lets face it, someone struggling to pull themselves together is just more interesting than someone who has it all figured out.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill