Hint for those who can't log in to the forum

Anything goes. But keep it civil, please.

Moderator: lvergon

DoingHomework

Hint for those who can't log in to the forum

Postby DoingHomework » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:49 am

For almost a week I could not log in to the forum. I'd type in my credentials, the forum would respond that I had successfully logged in, and then I'd immediately be taken to the forums in the "guest" mode that did not allow postings and did not keep track of read and unread messages. I thought this was my problem until I saw someone else's casual mention of finally being able to login. But I tried several different browsers on different machines. I've also noticed postings from the old hats here have declined in the last week- maybe coincidence or maybe a sign many people are having trouble.

If others are having this trouble, I think it is a problem with the forum software but there is apparently and easy fix - clear your browser data. That seems to get rid of the bad cookie or whatever was making this happen. In any case, I can now log in again.

stannius

Re: Hint for those who can't log in to the forum

Postby stannius » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:54 pm

I found that I could log in as long as I used a different browser. I was holding out for the presumed bug to be fixed. But, but prompted by your post, I have just cleared my cookies (for this site only - I am too lazy to log in to every site again)

timwalsh300

Postby timwalsh300 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:17 pm

DoingHomework wrote:I thought this was my problem until I saw someone else's casual mention of finally being able to login.

I was thinking the same thing.

I also found that it helps to check "log me in automatically each time I visit" (or whatever the option is). So if I do get logged off I get right back on.

Tim

DoingHomework

Postby DoingHomework » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:44 pm

timwalsh300 wrote:I was thinking the same thing.

I also found that it helps to check "log me in automatically each time I visit" (or whatever the option is). So if I do get logged off I get right back on.

I had that box checked.

I got a new Android phone a couple of weeks ago and have been busily installing software and generally retooling my digital life. I just figured I had messed something up. But apparently the forum has some problem with cookies that was affecting others as well.

Jethro
Site Admin

Postby Jethro » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:39 pm

Yep, sorry that we didn't make an announcement about this. If you are having trouble logging in lately try clearing cache and cookies (not your cache of cookies :D ). The forum software was updated about two weeks ago and was causing problems for mods and admins at first, too.
If life gives you tomatoes, make pico de gallo.

peachy

Postby peachy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:00 pm

It's been more than two weeks since I've had trouble, but hopefully this will work for a while now.

Thanks DH for bringing it to the mods' attention. In the meantime, apparently, when I do post, people start leaving (ATM). hee hee. Oh well.

NoBoB

Postby NoBoB » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:03 pm

The spammers don't seem to have any trouble logging in :(

Jethro
Site Admin

Postby Jethro » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:39 pm

NoBoB wrote:The spammers don't seem to have any trouble logging in :(
They seem to have gotten thicker since the change-over. At least now with the upgrade, the administrators actually have the power to wipe out multiple posts of individual spammers with one click -- something we had before, but got broken somehow.
If life gives you tomatoes, make pico de gallo.

kombat

Postby kombat » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:05 am

This problem (repeatedly getting logged out) has be happening to me frequently in the last few days - has anyone else also been experiencing a similar issue?

avocado

Postby avocado » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:41 pm

Yes. I was able to log in for the first time after reading CecilyC's post about chucking her cookies.

Chrome: settings -> show advanced settings (bottom of the page) -> content settings (under privacy) -> all cookies and site data (under cookies) -> search for "getrichslowly" and delete.

May want to sticky a post about it the more oft-frequented subforums.

Return to “General Discussion”