Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:43 pm

Post subject: Would you spend $300 on playoff tickets?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:44 am 

My team is actually in the playoffs (first time in 13 years). I want to watch the warrior/mavs game on Friday (since this is a once in a lifetime thing). I just don't want to make a financial decision I might regret.

Would you spend $165 (x 2 tickets) to go? The tickets aren't even that great (upper level), but that's all I can afford.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:05 am 
Site Admin

This is a tough call. It's going to come down to a case of "do what works for you", I think. It's not a good idea to go into debt to get the tickets, of course, but if you can afford it, and you'll enjoy it, I don't see a reason not to. You may just have to sacrifice some other indulgences short-term.

One of my fondest memories is traveling to Seattle to watch the Mariners/Yankees in the ALCS. We didn't have great seats, either -- down the right-field foul line, though lower deck -- and it was bitter cold (I spent $30 on a sweatshirt and $20 on a blanket just to keep warm). But we got to watch Roger Clemens pitch one of the greatest playoff games of all time. It was worth it to me!

Of course, that was back when I was using credit cards, so I'm still paying for that game... :(

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

It depends on how much I think you value your team. I value the GT Yellow Jackets, so when they made the final four....I went. Nothing would stop me, and I just stopped spending on other things for as long as it took. (not long).

Czar of GRS Forums.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Would you spend $300 on playoff tickets?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:13 pm 

kick_push wrote:
My team is actually in the playoffs (first time in 13 years). I want to watch the warrior/mavs game on Friday (since this is a once in a lifetime thing). I just don't want to make a financial decision I might regret.

Would you spend $165 (x 2 tickets) to go? The tickets aren't even that great (upper level), but that's all I can afford.

I wouldn't, but that's just me.

Right now $165 wouldn't be much of a hit to us financially, but still... Upper deck seats to an early round NBA playoff game? I'd much rather watch it on TV. Actually, I'm not that fond of the NBA, so I'd rather skip it entirely. That being said, I went to a couple of games during the 1991 World Series, including Jack Morris' ten inning complete game shutout in Game 7. We were in the upper deck in center field, but it was totally worth it.

Keep in mind however, that Game 7 of the World Series is fundamentally different from an early round NBA playoff game. Also, our tickets weren't nearly as expensive (even inflation adjusted).

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:56 pm 

I'm not a huge sports fan so no I wouldn't. But if there was another event that was really special to me and it was a one time only kind of thing I would consider it.

Just make sure that you factor in more than the price of the ticket. The last time I went to a football game I remember $7 beers and $10 hamburgers. I imagine any kind of major league game would be similar. Plus parking, gas souveneirs etc.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:07 pm 

I wouldn't buy professional sports tickets either, but that's because I hate what professional athletes have done to professional sports. On the other hand, I'm considering going to the Beijing Olympics (because I love China) which will be considerably more expensive.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Would you spend $300 on playoff tickets?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

nickel wrote:
kick_push wrote:

I wouldn't, but that's just me.

Right now $165 wouldn't be much of a hit to us financially, but still... Upper deck seats to an early round NBA playoff game? I'd much rather watch it on TV. Actually, I'm not that fond of the NBA, so I'd rather skip it entirely. That being said, I went to a couple of games during the 1991 World Series, including Jack Morris' ten inning complete game shutout in Game 7. We were in the upper deck in center field, but it was totally worth it.

Keep in mind however, that Game 7 of the World Series is fundamentally different from an early round NBA playoff game. Also, our tickets weren't nearly as expensive (even inflation adjusted).

DARN YOU. (Braves Fan)

Czar of GRS Forums.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

@tinyhands
I'd love to attend some Olympics events sometime. In 2010, they'll be held in Vancouver B.C., which is about as close as they'll ever get to Portland, I suspect. I may try to attend an event or two. Really, though, I'm stoked because a friend and I are going to try to attend World Cup South Africa in 2010. Now that is going to be expensive. But I've already begun to save for it. It's a once-in-a-lifetime trip, that's for sure...

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:57 pm 

jdroth wrote:
@tinyhands
I'd love to attend some Olympics events sometime. In 2010, they'll be held in Vancouver B.C., which is about as close as they'll ever get to Portland, I suspect. I may try to attend an event or two. Really, though, I'm stoked because a friend and I are going to try to attend World Cup South Africa in 2010. Now that is going to be expensive. But I've already begun to save for it. It's a once-in-a-lifetime trip, that's for sure...

We went to the semifinals and medals games of women's soccer in 1996. Very cool. That's an example of another sporting event that transcends sports. Again, it cost a good bit less than the NBA tickets referenced above, and we witnessed Olympic medals being won -- to me, that's fundamentally different from an early round NBA playoff game.

Note that none of this is intended to run down your desire to go... It's just that I'd want an expenditure of that sort to be really meaningful, and I want it to be something that would be much more than just watching a game -- after all, I can get a much better view sitting on my couch at home. If a playoff game after a long dry spell is a huge deal for you, then you should consider it.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:04 pm 

JD- Ooh, yeah. I may not be a soccer fan, but I can appreciate the importance of the World Cup. And in South Africa. Sign me up too.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:28 am 

I've got my plans in hand for the London Olympics in 2012. I'd contemplate going to the World Cup, but the bitter disappointment of losing on penalties to Germany again is bad enough to take from a thousand miles away, let alone in the flesh.

I probably wouldn't spend the $165 per ticket on the game, I'd probably prefer to watch it on a big screen with lots of other fans - so you get the atmosphere, a better view of the game and less expense.

http://plonkee.com and http://thereligiousatheist.com

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:43 am 
Site Admin

The Olympics in Atlanta in 96 were awesome. My father was one of the last torch-runners, so an olympic torch decorates the family living room. Rad.

Czar of GRS Forums.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:16 am 

Some of the other posts got it right...if don't have to go into debt for it...then go for it! We, as people trying to keep a handle on our financial future, need to recognise the importance of the things that make us happy. I am a dedicated COLTS fan (please hold your applause)...and have season tickets. This year, my wife and I are planning to move and upgrade our home. To save a little bit of money, I sold my ticket to a mutual friend of the other ticket holder and me for half the season. By the way...COLTS vs. New England in the playoffs...would have sacrificed luxuries for 4 months.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:49 am 

Quote:
The Olympics in Atlanta in 96 were awesome. My father was one of the last torch-runners, so an olympic torch decorates the family living room. Rad.

Now I'm bitter :evil:

http://plonkee.com and http://thereligiousatheist.com

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:28 pm 

I wouldn't, but it's different for everyone.

The fact that you're unsure enough to ask about here, kind of makes me think it's more than you'd like to spend on a game.

Knowing nothing about your financial situation means I can't really say, but just bear in mind the amount of time and life that goes into making that $165 and then decide if that's how you want to spend it. If you get true satisfaction from that kind of event, it may be worth it. If it's only a temporary "high" of being there and it's possible you'll regret it later, I would say pass, have friends over, and watch it on TV. You still get a bit of a buzz due to the excitement of the game, you still get to socialize, and it's a lot cheaper.

Also, what happens if they lose? Would you be upset you spent the money then? If so, I'd not spend it.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page 1, 2  Next