dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Can I convince my wife to watch Heroes?

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:03 pm

Post subject: Can I convince my wife to watch Heroes?
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

We've finished all three seasons of Battlestar Galactica now. For the most part, Kris liked it better than I did. Now we're ready to find a new show at the iTunes Music Store. I already have a subscription to Heroes, though I haven't watched any of it yet. I think that should be our next show, but Kris isn't interested. If she liked Battlestar will she like Heroes? How can I convince her to give it a try? I hear that it's good, but she doesn't buy it.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:43 pm 

Tell her the Japanese guy is a hottie. :wink:

He totally is.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:36 am 

It's intelligent, well-written, and has the cliffhanger ending down cold. I love this show.

And our hero, Hiro ranges from adorably geeky-scruffy to smokin' hot. Ninja Hiro! *swoons*

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:00 am 

Agreed, love it, in particular the mystery-aspect of occasionally not knowing who the good guys are and who the bad guys are.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:02 am 

My wife really enjoys heroes but she didn't really enjoy BSG... although she started watching more in the third season.

We now actively watch heroes and lost together. Heroes is my fave by far.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:17 am 

I alternate between fondness and extreme irritation. This week's episode led to the latter, although I seem to be very much in the minority there.

If your problems with BSG related to characterization, then stay away from Heroes, because I can count on my hand the number of people who haven't had characterization sacrificed for plot. ("Company Man" is one of the best hours of TV I saw this season, because it focused on a character who had avoided that.)

As a comic-book fan, though, I suspect you'll like it (assuming you don't complain about it borrowing from [graphic novel storyline that could spoil you for season arcs]). (I did not read said work, but the parallels have been brought up all over the place.) It's lovely to look at, there are moments of humor and genuine pathos, the producers appear committed to diversity because it's integral to the story and not just for bonus points, and I do want to know what happens next.

But I still find it frustrating.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:39 am 

My wife, sister in law, and mother in law all love Heroes. It took maybe two episodes before they were completely hooked.

I think its the most entertaining show on television... It shouldn't be a hard sell. Just sit her down for a couple episodes and she'll be hooked.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:57 pm 

I initially loved Heroes, and ran home every Monday night from class to watch the new episode (or download the new episode in HD heh).

For one reason or another, I lost interest in it.. after I fell behind in a few episodes (it gets hard to catch up if you miss an episode or feel like you're behind). I'll definitely agree with Mortar on the irritation part.. sometimes it just develops too slow for my liking.

So right now I'm just accumulating episodes for a weekend marathon (once I find the time to watch it).

Anyway, I doubt you can get her hooked via a random episode in the middle of the seasons etc. the first episode was pretty decent, and it's only about 40 or so minute when you take out the commercials.. so perhaps trick her into a 40 minute sitting if possible?

Funny how the same thing applied for me to BSG. I followed up till the beginning of the second season? And for whatever reason I lost interest. Maybe the dose of drama got me tired (even though that's the very selling point).

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

Cap, Battlestar almost lost me at the beginning of the second season, but since I had paid to download all the episodes, I watched them. It got really good there for a while. I wish I had stopped on the episode before the second-season finale, though. The finale and all that comes after in the third season is just a mess.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill