dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Job Hunting: Avoiding spam filters - Yahoo Mail or GMail?

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:12 am

Post subject: Job Hunting: Avoiding spam filters - Yahoo Mail or GMail?
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:17 am 

I've been a long time user of Yahoo Mail, but I also have a GMail account that I rarely use. I'm slowly starting a job hunt, and I was wondering if anyone had experience on which address was most likely to get caught in a recipient's spam filters, Yahoo Mail or GMail?

I've not had problems in the past with Yahoo mail, but companies are getting more strict about their spam filtering. I'd hate to lose out on a great opportunity just because I got caught in a spam filter!

Thanks,
Croz.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:15 am 

I don't know if it helps, but I've never received any gmail spam at work, and lots of yahoo spam gets caught in the Junk folder (outlook). I work for a company that has Microsoft everything (even the kitchen sink).

http://plonkee.com and http://thereligiousatheist.com

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:49 am 

I think compared to Yahoo, GMail still has a small userbase (even with the prevalence of Google the search engine, people haven't found the need to sign up for their email service). So, it's likely to not be as bad of a problem with spam. Plus, the design of the GMail signup system was more secure from the get-go, reducing the amount of spam that could be created in mass-fashion.

If I were a betting man between only the two, I'd go with GMail.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:08 am 

I agree with the others. Gmail is much less likely to get nabbed by a spam filter than yahoo. Plus, its a better emailing service anyways... :)

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:19 am 

Free services look kind of unprofessional. I'd register a domain name (about $8/year) and then host a mail account there. Make it something catchy, or register yourname.com (if it's available) or something like that.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:45 am 

I both agree and disagree with nickel. On the one hand, having your own domain makes you look all that much more professional. However, I can say with some confidence (since I actually work in the anti-spam industry) that lesser known domain names are judged much more strictly than, say, yahoo.com or gmail.com.

One advantage that gmail has over yahoo is that yahoo emails have that yahoo ad at the bottom of every email; gmail doesn't. So gmail would probably look more professional.

On the flip side, gmail's spam filter is nowhere near as good as yahoo's. The only reason why gmail users have so far eluded so much spam is that there aren't enough of them to attract the attention of spammers. Once the number of gmail users crosses a certain threshold... well, all's fair in love, war, and spam. =]

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:45 pm 

I get a ton of spam to my gmail account... But it all goes into my spam folder of which I've never changed any settings.

I've gotten 119 this week (I clear out my spam folder weekly).

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:00 am 

Didn't you get an email address with your ISP? Use that.

Ad's on your application email are annoying.

I'd also use an email address strictly for your job search. Turn off all filtering and anti-spam stuff too. You don't want to lose a job opportunity because the company that wants to hire you is hosted in a facility that had a spammer there at one point in time and their provider still can't wash away the stink...

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill