dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Cable and Internet Rates - What do you pay?

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:12 am

Post subject: Cable and Internet Rates - What do you pay?
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:29 pm 

How much do you pay per a month for your Cable and Internet?

The reason I ask is because I called my cable company today to get rid of some unnecessary services that I had through a promotional deal that had ended. Turns out, i was still on a deal, just a "lesser" deal, and cutting back would increase my bill. The prices seem outrageous!! The lady said "Well really, you are only paying X dollars a day!" "Yeah, well that's more than I spend on most things." Gee, if we break it down to minutes, then you can tell me I'm only spending X cents an hour.

Go ahead and brag zero if you don't have cable (I respect your frugality!), but you must at least have internet!!!

=)

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:36 pm 

$33/month for DSL
$45/month for Dish
$18/month for Blockbuster Total Access (not cable, but sorta the same thing)

Last edited by nickel on Wed May 16, 2007 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:21 pm 
Site Admin

Heh. For once I get to answer, "I don't know," and it's not because I'm negligent. Taking my own advice, I recently cut cable back from super-deluxe to basic. As a result, I have a credit to my account, and haven't received a bill for two months. I have no idea what I'm paying.

Same thing with my internet. Kris and I finally yielded to the dark side. We each got a cell phone and then cut our land line. Since I have DSL, that's billed through the phone company, but I don't know what my rate's going to be now that we've cut the phone.

My guesses, though are $18/month for cable and $40/month for DSL. I'll update this response in a few weeks, once I've actually seen my bills...

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:25 pm 

Currently for internet, about $50 due to a promotion at Comcast. That ends next month, so I'll see what I can talk them into, or I'll go DSL with AT&T,

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:57 pm 

Cable tv isn't as popular in Australia - it certainly doesn't have the 'necessity' status that it seems to have in the US. So we just get free-to-air TV (5 channels).
The landline is probably AU$30/month but I haven't seen a bill since I moved in to my new place in March.
My mobile is on an AU$29 plan, (but I've been spending about $45 and have just discovered that they've been overcharging me, so next month will be covered by a credit).
The internet is AU$75/month for an unlimited broadband plan (this and the landline are between three of us).

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:29 am 

I pay $34/month (Canadian) for basic cable. My DSL is $51/month. I've thought about going with cable internet, which might reduce my overall cost if the cable company provides a bundled cable/internet offer, but cutting my DSL would mean having to deal with changing e-mail addresses and that's such a hassle that I'm reluctant to deal with it. The standalone rate for an equivalent Internet cable service (i.e. no bandwidth restrictions) is higher than my DSL: about $64/month.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:40 am 

Basic cable around me is $10. But by basic I mean about 3 channels more than what you could get without cable. Extended is what is considered basic and runs $59 a month. There is a promo now for digital plus 2 movie channels for $1 extra a month for a year. So I pay $60 for extended, Starz and HBO.

I'd like to drop it but DH won't budge. He likes HGTV and another channel I don't know the name of too much.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:55 am 

We're paying about $90 after taxes/fees during a 1-year promotional plan for Cable/Internet. We've got most of the movie tier stuff like HBO, Showtime, etc., and a DVR. They gave us one that is HD compatible, so I think we ended up getting HD for free.

The DVR has certainly changed the way I watch TV. Other than a couple of weekly shows (24, Lost), I watch nearly nothing in real-time. I even watch a couple of shows on-demand each month. HD has similarly changed things. I really don't ever want to go back to 480i.

Comcast is really pushing their Triple Play down everyone's throat. I think I get a thing in the mail asking me to get it nearly ever week. Get [everything you already have plus digital voice and all these sports channels you don't need] for only $159 a month! They have another one for $100 a month but I can't remember what is included. My wife and I have cell phones already and never bothered to get a land line.

If my wife didn't have so many shows she likes to watch during the day, we probably wouldn't have the amount of service that we do. However, you can pry the internet from my cold, dead fingers using a vicegrip. ;)

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:44 am 

I'm not really sure. I live in a growing "technology" company and the home owner association decided to strike a deal with Verizon and had them run their FIOS service to all of our houses in exchange for contracting it into our HOA fees...

Ideally its not the best way to limit costs, but I pay $150 a month in HOA, but I get 15mb Down, 2mb up internet connection and TV with well over 200+ channels (30 of them being HD) in addition to rights to the pool and them taking care of the community parks etc. Oh and free wireless internet connection at about 5 different locations in the community. We could have a land line phone also, but we don't as my wife and I just use our cell phones. Neither one of us are big talkers and we have never gone over our minutes.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:26 am 

I don't know the exact number or the breakdown but mine is in the neighborhood of $130 for cable and broadband internet (TimeWarner, soon to be Comcast). My cable includes HBO, a HiDef package, and an HD-capable DVR.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:38 am 

Okay, maybe I'm not getting such a bad deal after all.

A couple years ago I lived here and was about to pay around 60 for cable + "extended cable" (not digital). Once my promo is over, the same deal will be $97, or $116 for digital + broadband. Or about $50 for just the interent.

Is it just me, or do these rates (everyones) seem high? Maybe it is just me, but I think that while some of the promos are quite reasonable (they have a new deal that I am not eligible for--40+fees for interent and cable!), the real rates aren't reasonable. It seems I can't get DSL for that much cheaper, but I will definitely be looking into it. I think i can survive without cable.... maybe. =)

Does anyone know how this works--If you don't use a land lline, do you have to pay for one in order to use DSL??

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:32 am 
Site Admin

20 bucks a month for dry-loop DSL
No Cable

Czar of GRS Forums.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:56 am 

SJean wrote:
Okay, maybe I'm not getting such a bad deal after all.

A couple years ago I lived here and was about to pay around 60 for cable + "extended cable" (not digital). Once my promo is over, the same deal will be $97, or $116 for digital + broadband. Or about $50 for just the interent.

Is it just me, or do these rates (everyones) seem high? Maybe it is just me, but I think that while some of the promos are quite reasonable (they have a new deal that I am not eligible for--40+fees for interent and cable!), the real rates aren't reasonable. It seems I can't get DSL for that much cheaper, but I will definitely be looking into it. I think i can survive without cable.... maybe. =)

Does anyone know how this works--If you don't use a land lline, do you have to pay for one in order to use DSL??

I was told by the phone co. that you don't need a landline for DSL.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:04 pm 

I pay $107 (Cdn) for land line, unlimited long distance in North America, DSL, basic cable with a sport package. Since it is all bundled together I have no idea what each item is worth. The cell phone is another $10/month.
CD

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

Local Phone + DSL = $98 / mo
Rabbit Ears = Nada :lol:

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page 1, 2  Next