Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:33 pm

Post subject: Small business blogs similar to GRS?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:13 pm 

Hi, I've read the blog for years, but this is my first visit to the forum. I'd like to know if anyone knows of a blog focusing on small businesses that is similar to Get Rich Slowly.

Most of them are either about marketing, or are run by marketing (or social media experts - whatever that means) people, and the blog kind of seems like an excuse to advertise their businesses.

I'm thinking of starting a small local retail business, and I want to read blogs about the process. I'm also thinking of starting my own to document my progress, but I'm wondering why nobody else is doing it. I've come up with two reasons why it's a bad idea: people running/starting small businesses don't have time for a blog, and they don't want to give away secrets to their competition or encourage people to move into their market.

Any ideas?

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Small business blogs similar to GRS?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:54 pm 

I don't know of any but I think you are spot on with this:
Quote:
people running/starting small businesses don't have time for a blog

I'd encourage you to start one up. It could be great.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:25 pm 

Hi,
This is my first day in this forum and I hope that all of you will say welcome to me...! Blogs have passed their fad stage and are now accepted as serious business tools, but far too many people have entirely the wrong idea about making money blogging. Making money because you blog is a much more common than making money from blogging. Yes, a handful of people make serious money from their blogs, including from advertising revenue, product sales, and more, but for most of us this is simply not going to happen. I know a very few people making six figures from their blogs, but I know a lot more extremely successful professionals who owe their success in part to blogging. The thought of a professional, whether a consultant, lawyer, speaker or anyone else starting a blog, slapping some ads on it, and raking in serious cash is simply ludicrous! There are several reasons why blogging is great for promoting yourself. These include:

Visibility -- Search engines drive most of the traffic on the Internet, and they love blogs. “Blog and they will come,” although not entirely correct, is not far off the mark. Blogging will expose you and your thoughts to a larger audience.

Expertise -- You can demonstrate, and built, your expertise on a regular basis via blogging. You are not claiming you’re an expert, but proving it through what you say.

Networking – Due to the conversational and interactive nature of blogging, the range of people you’ll meet may simply amaze you. Some may become clients while some may refer or otherwise help you and they will also benefit from knowing you.

Building Trust – Blogs are written in a conversational style, much as we speak, and when people read your blog, they get to know you. I’ve met long time readers of my blog who have said, “You’re just like your blog!” Although they had just met me, they already knew me.
Thanks!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:09 am 

Hello,
Make a concerted effort to make your workplace more energy efficient. Ensure workstations are at the very least placed into power-saving sleep mode at the end of the day and try to unplug other office items like printers, copiers and appliances.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill