I am pretty sure that the US Gov't spent a ton on transportation infrastructure...Eisenhower?
Of course they did. The interstate highway system was built to facilitate military logistics for example. The government continues to fund highways too..
But there is a lot of privately funded infrastructure as well:
- power plants, dams, power lines and that kind of stuff funded by private companies with monopolies to supply power. They make these investments in exchange for guaranteed rates and protection from competition.
- airports funded from airline fees and landing fees
- research facilities built by various companies
- the internet and telecommunications backbone built by AT&T and MCI respectively as well as various cellular companies.
- Communications satellites built by various private firms.
There is no doubt that the government has spent money on infrastructure. But the US model is a little different from models used in other countries so comparisons are difficult. So much of our important infrastructure is was privately funded.