Get Another Job

Anything goes. But keep it civil, please.

Moderator: lvergon

fantasma

Get Another Job

Postby fantasma » Sat May 07, 2011 4:55 pm

I need more money. Who doesn't ;) ? I have been job hunting for a part time position and fell upon a federal job posting. It is for a full time position for DOL. I am considering putting in an application.

Keep in mind I have a decent job with the state now, my only concern, is it worth it to leave the job I have now?

I have a pretty good job but it doesn't pay that well. I enjoy my colleagues. We get threatened by the house/senate all the time and do not get raises unless the house deems it so. If it wasn't for getting promotions I would have never had a pay raise in the past 5-6 years!

Now we have to deal with a 3% pay cut because we now have to contribute to our pension plan. I would gladly contribute to my pension plan if I got even a 2% cola raise every year.

We must do our jobs well because performance evaluations are done every year. Lately the older employees have been advising us to seek employment elsewhere.
What do you think? Stay with the state or get out?
Be what you want to attract.

galactic

Re: Get Another Job

Postby galactic » Sat May 07, 2011 6:57 pm

1. it never hurts to apply! you don't need to decide on whether to take the job itself right now.

2. your experience as a state employee should give you a hint or 2 as to what you might expect as a federal employee. also, federal employees are kinda the target of a whole lot of national angst right now.

DoingHomework

Postby DoingHomework » Sun May 08, 2011 4:16 pm

In my experience when those in the know start telling you to look for another job, it's time to do so.

Government employees, federal or state, are always target when budgets get tight. It's never bad to have options. And if the DOL is hiring that is a good sign.

One thing you might consider though is whether you have any kind of seniority.

fantasma

Postby fantasma » Sun May 08, 2011 8:29 pm

I do have seniority, I have been here for 10 years.
Be what you want to attract.

DoingHomework

Postby DoingHomework » Mon May 09, 2011 6:43 am

fantasma wrote:I do have seniority, I have been here for 10 years.

So, the question is, would you seniority make you one of the last to be laid off if the state decides to cut back. If so then I think it is worth a lot these days and could be a reason to stay with the state even for less money. You would lose it if you switched to the feds.

Seniority, as an actual codified thing, has gotten rare and typically only exists with government and union jobs. It can prevent you from being laid off unless an entire department is cut and even then can sometime force the state to hire you back first is they fill ANY position you are qualified for.

I have no idea if Florida has that but I would want to find out before dumping that much seniority.

Savarel

Postby Savarel » Mon May 09, 2011 4:19 pm

If you like your job, Id make sure it was a serious raise in pay before I left. Money seems to be easier to find than a good boss and pleasant coworkers. :)

TripleE

Postby TripleE » Thu May 26, 2011 9:39 am

It never hurts to apply, and from what I've seen, it takes a LONG time for Federal jobs to actually hire people. If you do it now, you'll have a job for a while (assuming layoffs are coming) before you hear anything.

going it alone

Postby going it alone » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:28 pm

Make sure the posting doesn't have a job listing number. The majority of those are scams. They charge you a fee to send you a list of available jobs. The jobs may be from all over the country.

madison85

Postby madison85 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:28 am

You have nothing to lose to apply for the job, and see how far you get. If you do manage to get the job, you need to think what will the extra money bring to the table? Will it help you massively financially? And weight it up against being happy with your current job because you get alone with your colleagues. It is always good to be happy at work because you have to be motivated to get up in the morning.

stannius

Postby stannius » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:31 pm

TripleE wrote:It never hurts to apply, and from what I've seen, it takes a LONG time for Federal jobs to actually hire people. If you do it now, you'll have a job for a while (assuming layoffs are coming) before you hear anything.

I hope it takes a long time, since this three month old thread keeps getting necro'd...

Return to “General Discussion”