Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:42 pm

Post subject: Re: Why the U.S. Could Use a Strategic Default
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:37 am 

DoingHomework wrote:
But...but...but, that's all wrong. a kg is a unit of mass and a lb is a unit of force. They are not the same and can't me made equivalent, not even by Congress or the Queen.
Someone tell Congress that. They seem to think they can regulate everything. :)

DoingHomework wrote:
But in the spirit of kombat dissin' us Americans, let's all remember that the Indiana legislature passe a law defining "pi" to be exactly 3 in that state.
WOW! I never heard about that. Why?

DoingHomework wrote:
And of course Kansas has forbidden evolution from occuring in their state...which explains a few things about their politics. (Or maybe I got that wrong, maybe it's juts teaching it that is forbidden...whatever.) We can be pretty dumb here, it's true.
No argument

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:25 am 

bpgui wrote:
DoingHomework wrote:
But in the spirit of kombat dissin' us Americans, let's all remember that the Indiana legislature passe a law defining "pi" to be exactly 3 in that state.
WOW! I never heard about that. Why?

Turns out I was wrong. The bill never passed. But it came close. It seems the sponsor just could not deal with it being an irrational number. Irrationality is reserved for politicians.

That was over 100 years ago but the madness continues. Perhaps you've read about all the legislative time and effort being expended in several states to legalize lightbulbs. I suppose I should be grateful that things are so good in this country right now that legislatures have no real and serious problems to address.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:10 am 

DoingHomework wrote:
Perhaps you've read about all the legislative time and effort being expended in several states to legalize lightbulbs. I suppose I should be grateful that things are so good in this country right now that legislatures have no real and serious problems to address.

Yep, and make illegal the "regular" incandescent bulbs, meaning I'll have to replace several fixtures in my house.

I often think the legislature does things in an attempt to justify their existence. "Look at all the important laws we passed."

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:42 am 

bpgui wrote:
Yep, and make illegal the "regular" incandescent bulbs, meaning I'll have to replace several fixtures in my house.

I often think the legislature does things in an attempt to justify their existence. "Look at all the important laws we passed."

I like the old bulbs so that's certainly the side I'd come down on. But for the legislature or Congress to get down to that kind of detail is really sad.

I think it's a sign of the poor quality of elected representatives we have across the board. They are incompetent to do anything truly meaningful so they just try to pass whatever they can.

But this particular debate goes back to the whole global warming/climate change issue. There is a camp that thinks if they deny it then it is not true. That works to some degree for opinion/belief but it does not work for measurable physical phenomena. Global warming is occurring. It can and has been measured in hundreds of different ways. Anyone who argues that is an idiot or just plain ignorant.

Now, it is debatable whether humans have caused it and whether we should/can do anything about it. But rather than have that debate, it's easier to just pretend it is not happening. If we ban light bulbs then that must mean there is a reason. If we get rid of the ban then that mean climate change is not happening. Great logic huh.

Pi is an irrational number. Irrational numbers cannot be expressed as fractions. Fractions are confusing. Let's just make Pi a nice round number. Then we all look smart because we don't get confused.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4