dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Grill Question: Repair or Replace

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:25 pm

Post subject: Grill Question: Repair or Replace
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:48 am 

I'm struggling with this one...

We have a 12 year old Char Broil gas grill at 32,000 BTU and 400 sq. inches of cooking surface, plus about another 140 sq. inches of warming surface. It was fine for us up in Michigan, but here in Tampa, we grill out a lot more. Although I've only had two occasions where I had to cook things in 2 batches.

It needs some help. The cooking surface needs to be replaced - Universal replacement - $25.00 (can't get parts from Char Broil anymore)
Drip vaporizer - $7.00, Thermometer - $5.00, Ignitor - $6.00, Grill paint - $3.00. It might also need a new burner bar ($25.00) but I won't know until I take it apart.

So with a lot of elbow grease, and between $43.00 and $68.00 in parts, I can have it working like new.

I can replace it with the equivalent from Char Broil for $119.00, or for $199.00, I can get http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5698158, which is stainless steel, 45,000 BTU and over 60% more cooking surface.

I could go nuts, and get http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5673075, which would add the griddle and stove, which could come in handy if we lose power for any length of time this hurricane season.

My thriftiness says repair the grill. My wife says buy the middle range one for myself for Father's Day, and my Y-chromosome says' buy a big grill!

Is it worth it to repair the current grill? Or should I look at replacing it?

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Grill Question: Repair or Replace
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:41 am 

Croz wrote:
I'm struggling with this one...

We have a 12 year old Char Broil gas grill at 32,000 BTU and 400 sq. inches of cooking surface, plus about another 140 sq. inches of warming surface. It was fine for us up in Michigan, but here in Tampa, we grill out a lot more. Although I've only had two occasions where I had to cook things in 2 batches.

It needs some help. The cooking surface needs to be replaced - Universal replacement - $25.00 (can't get parts from Char Broil anymore)
Drip vaporizer - $7.00, Thermometer - $5.00, Ignitor - $6.00, Grill paint - $3.00. It might also need a new burner bar ($25.00) but I won't know until I take it apart.

So with a lot of elbow grease, and between $43.00 and $68.00 in parts, I can have it working like new.

I can replace it with the equivalent from Char Broil for $119.00, or for $199.00, I can get http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5698158, which is stainless steel, 45,000 BTU and over 60% more cooking surface.

I could go nuts, and get http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5673075, which would add the griddle and stove, which could come in handy if we lose power for any length of time this hurricane season.

My thriftiness says repair the grill. My wife says buy the middle range one for myself for Father's Day, and my Y-chromosome says' buy a big grill!

Is it worth it to repair the current grill? Or should I look at replacing it?

Can it last you the summer when the grills will start going on sale so you can get a better deal? Also, have you looked around on places like craigslist to see about buying a used one? Or maybe a floor model at one of the stores? I got mine at home depot and since it was the last one got a great deal out of the box - which was fine - one less thing to throw away.

ETA - I would probably replace it and perhaps upgrade it to the larger if you're finding that to be a problem. It's old, you've more than gotten your money out of it. You spend $70 in parts this year and then next year you have to spend more to keep fixing stuff.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

Croz,

Having replaced a 10 year-old Char-Broil grill this spring, I have a few thoughts on this...

I would suggest NOT replacing the Char-Broil with another Char-Broil. I would suggest the following options:

1. Make the repairs and save money for a fully loaded higher quality grill (Weber, etc.)
2. Get a basic higher quality grill (like the Weber Spirit E-310).

Don't be swayed by the latest trend of boat-sized stainless monstrosities. If you just want an even heating, reliable, flame-up resistant grill, I would very much suggest getting something like a Weber -- even if they seem to cost more for the same features... the performance level really is that much better. After a few months with my Weber, I am getting results I could only dream of with my Char-Broil.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill