Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:34 am

Post subject: Is it worth the $$ to postpone moving in with the parents?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:50 am 

Just looking for some input on this decision. All opinions welcome!

I'll be finishing grad school in January or February (hurray!), but I’m moving back to my hometown at Christmas so I can sublet my current place for the spring semester. I have an offer to move in with a friend, on a month-to-month lease until the end of June.

The monthly costs would a bit lower than my current place, but I will also be cutting everything down to the bare minimum, as I get my last stipend check at New Years. By this time, I’ll have saved up 3-4 months of my current living expenses, on top of my emergency fund. Once I'm done with school I'm hoping to find a part-time job to lessen the impact on my savings while I figure out my next move.

My problem is, I have no idea where I'll be next summer. I could find a job (fingers crossed), a seasonal internship, or I could end up working in tourist retail until the fall. As the friend’s lease is up in June, if I haven’t found anything by then, I’ll be moving back in with the parents temporarily. We haven’t discussed financial terms yet, but I’ve outlined the likely outcome below.

-----------------Current------Friend-------Parents
Rent...............$350.........$420.........$250
Utilities............$50.......Incl in rent.....??
Heat.............$50-75.....Incl in rent.....??
Groceries........$200.........$200.........$150
Going out/Misc..$100..........$50..........$50
TOTAL............$750.........$670.........$450+

Current Debts:
$200/mo Car Payment - $10k @ 2.9%
No consumer or student loan debt :-)

So this is my dilemma. From a financial standpoint, it makes the most sense to just move in with the parents in January, but I'm not sure living with them again is such a good idea. They mean well, but tend to revert to being the parents of a teenager (where are you going, etc), and I’d throw quite a few wrenches in their daily routine… [Ex: I’m awake past 9pm.]

So do you think it’s worth the extra money to have my freedom for a few more months? Or should I just suck it up and move home in January? Thanks!

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Is it worth the $$ to postpone moving in with the parent
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:22 am 

That's a completely personal decision.

Personally, I'd do (and did) whatever I could not to move back in with my parents!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:51 am 

What Homework said.

How likely do you think it is that you will find a job? If July rolls around and you haven't, will you wish you had the $1320 back?

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:18 am 

I'll be moving to a touristy area where half of the businesses close for the winter, so if I'm willing to work in a seasonal hotel or restaurant from May to October, there's about a 100% chance of getting a job. It may be mundane, but I'll be close to home and most places pay well, including a bonus if you stay 'til the end of the season (i.e. don't have to go back to college at Labor Day).

If I find a job related to my field I'd definitely jump up and grab it, but if nothing comes up I'm willing to spend this next year waiting tables and catching up with family I haven't had much time for while in grad school...

Thanks for your replies. I know this is really more of a personal decision, but I was hoping a bit of financial logic would help sway me one way or the other!

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill