Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:58 am

Post subject: As of just now, I have a house
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:18 am 

My house completed at about half twelve today.

Hooray, I'm now a homeowner 8)

Of course, I'm in work today with two important meetings so I can't go and pick up the keys from the agent until later, but still. I have a house :mrgreen: .

http://plonkee.com and http://thereligiousatheist.com

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:44 am 

Congratulations! We should be in the same situation two days from now, assuming the bank finally clears a certified check that we deposited last Thursday. Banks here are incredibly restrictive; I've never heard of a bank putting a hold on a certified check before but that's what's happening. I'm meeting with them today to complain and to see if we can resolve the situation. I have the full downpayment available in my account, but the lawyer wants us to give her one certified check that includes the downpayment plus the tax adjustment and her legal fees. My girlfriend is paying for those additional costs so she wrote me a certified check on Thursday and I deposited it Thursday evening in my account. But the deposit is still showing up as "frozen" (unavailable) today, two full business days later! :x

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:55 am 

brad wrote:
Congratulations! We should be in the same situation two days from now, assuming the bank finally clears a certified check that we deposited last Thursday. Banks here are incredibly restrictive; I've never heard of a bank putting a hold on a certified check before but that's what's happening. I'm meeting with them today to complain and to see if we can resolve the situation. I have the full downpayment available in my account, but the lawyer wants us to give her one certified check that includes the downpayment plus the tax adjustment and her legal fees. My girlfriend is paying for those additional costs so she wrote me a certified check on Thursday and I deposited it Thursday evening in my account. But the deposit is still showing up as "frozen" (unavailable) today, two full business days later! :x

Yep, they typically do this now unless the check is from the same bank. Too much fraud. Given this, it's always best to spring for the wire transfer fee.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:58 am 

nickel wrote:
Yep, they typically do this now unless the check is from the same bank. Too much fraud. Given this, it's always best to spring for the wire transfer fee.

In fact I asked my girlfriend to do a wire transfer for this very reason, but she didn't want to ask for it. Now we're paying the price!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:07 am 
Site Admin

I'll bet she does the wire transfer next time. :)

Congrats to both of you!

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:10 am 

That's great news all around. Now I have a place to crash in both Montreal and "England" ;)

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:11 pm 

I think we're safe: I talked to the bank and they said I could try opening a line of credit and use that for the closing costs and then pay it off next week when the check from my girlfriend clears. Normally I would avoid a line of credit (I hate paying interest on anything) but I really had no choice...I got an appointment with a manager (who turned out to not speak any English so we did the whole meeting in French, quite a stretch for my intermediate French abilities but it worked) and she set me up with a line of credit, got it approved, and the money's available now. And now I have the comfort of knowing the line of credit is there if I ever run into a cash-flow crunch like this again (which hopefully will never happen!)

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:32 pm 

My bank said that using the LOC would bode well for my credit. So I used a certified cheque from my LOC until we closed on our own home. The interest wasn't so bad.

Congrats on your new home.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill