dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Career break, gap year, sabbatical, extended vacation, leave

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:32 pm

Post subject: Career break, gap year, sabbatical, extended vacation, leave
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:13 pm 

Have you or do you know anyone who has had long-term success taking breaks from traditional employment? I’ve always been fascinated with this idea/lifestyle.

I had a family friend growing up who was a pretty alternative guy in general, but also the happiest person I have ever known. When he wasn’t living in Africa or France, or the Caribbean, he crashed with friends in the states, including with us 1-2 months per year. He guest-hosted a local world music radio station when he was in town, and just seemed to be everywhere at once and knew everyone. I went to a French movie as a class assignment at my university (different city than where my family lived); I hadn’t seen him since I was 14 but there was Uncle Terry sitting in the auditorium with mostly students. Even though he knew my parents before I was born I never knew too much about him, so I was shocked when I found out that all those years he worked as an RN. He worked about 6 months out of the year and traveled the other 6 months. I was absolutely fascinated with this arrangement and it was the first time I even contemplated a career or working schedule that would allow such freedom and mobility and it really stuck hard to me.

I know time off and “holidays” are more extensive in parts of Europe as well, but it seems that in order to get a similar deal here you have to get creative, or be a contract worker with jobs paying enough to sustain you when you’re not working. I’ll be honest, I even considered becoming a teacher in order to get those breaks. It seemed like a good idea before talking to some actual teachers who poked all kinds of holes into that ship. I know people who left their jobs and applied to other jobs, just to be able to take a 2 month break in between and still be able to be employed. I have done this myself.
It’s still a life I am working towards.

I know a lot of folks in the PF world aspire to FIRE, however that does not interest me at all. I want some of that FIRE to be spread across my whole life, not just some big bang at the end. Taking 6 months off last year to explore, and learn, and try out other industries, has had a lasting impact on me, even 1 year later. To go along with the fire analogy, I see the experience of “starting over” every few years as similar to what a wildfire does for forests; it stimulates the release of new seeds and allows those seeds to germinate without competition from old, overgrown foliage. I need me some wildfires.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Career break, gap year, sabbatical, extended vacation, l
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:16 pm 

I've never taken an extended amount of time off from work. I don't guess I know anyone who has other than maternity or medical leave. Most employers in the US frown on sabbaticals. Taking a vacation is one thing but taking 6 months off to find yourself or to work on your bucket list will generally wind you up standing in the unemployment line.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Career break, gap year, sabbatical, extended vacation, l
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:13 pm 

I know someone who took a 2 month sabbatical, then came back to the company with a new title of VP. She told me that it was a condition of her returning. She had been at the company since the very early days and was apparently highly valued by the company president. She worked under that title for a couple years, but then left again to simply "wander the earth" indefinitely.

That same president, when she left the company herself took a "gap year" where her and her family traveled the world (not the same thing as walking the earth BTW). But I suspect that was just to wait out the non-compete agreement; about 1 year plus 1 day after she left, she formed a new company and recruited some people from the old company.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill