dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - AAA Membership --- Is it worth it?

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:12 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:30 pm 

I used to be in AAA and I used their sservices for maps and stuff and enjoyed the discounts on hotels. But that was almost 20 years ago. Now you can get much better rates online so I don't think it is worth it. And google maps is better than AAA I think. Yes, the books are good but teh same information is available online now.

The roadside assistance is worthless. Most people already have that through a credit card, insurance or other membership. It does not PAY for any help you need, they simply help you get the car to a shop. Many shops will even do that for free.

If you do a lot of traveling you will probably save the money in the hotel discounts but otherwise you can get everything they offer for free without joining.

I just think they are an organization that has outlived its usefulness.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:59 pm 

Their roadside assistance service has bailed me out of many a breakdown or other minor auto catastrophe, so I would at least recommend them for that.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: AAA Membership --- Is it worth it?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:01 pm 

AAA is best known for its roadside assistance. It provides members with a number of services, such as towing, fuel delivery and route recommendations. The cost of AAA membership varies on a region-by-region basis, and there are many levels of membership that carry different price tags. In Minnesota and Iowa, for example, Basic membership costs $59.95 annually, while Plus membership and Premier RV membership cost $101.95 and $151.95, respectively

Teenagers and parents of teenagers often turn to AAA because of its roadside assistance benefits. AAA’s roadside assistance program can be especially beneficial for teenagers considering that a 2011 study showed that two-thirds of teenagers don’t know how to jumpstart their battery or change a tire. As well as directly helping inexperienced drivers, AAA membership also provides parents with an extra sense of security and peace of mind. In Minnesota and Iowa, if a parent signs up for AAA membership, he or she can designate a child under the age of 17 as an associate member for $12.50 per year. Similar deals exist in other states as well

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:55 am 

cjenifer123 wrote:
a 2011 study showed that two-thirds of teenagers don’t know how to jumpstart their battery or change a tire.

Um...wouldn't it be better to teach them how to jump start a car and change a tire rather than sign them up for AAA only to wait hours in the middle of nowhere for a AAA contractor? Each of those tasks takes 5 minutes or so. Isn't that better than teaching your kids to wait around helpless for much longer?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:33 pm 

I have an AAA membership because we wife felt better having one. We haven't used it yet, in fact, we have free towing from our dealership and our insurance company as well. At least she feels better...that makes it worth while.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:48 am 

I have it. Not worth it for the discounts in my opinion, but maybe others do better.

But, I drive an old car and it's left me on the side of the road several times. I am prone to panicking pretty easily & it's nice to have the number to call in my wallet & they take care of towing me some place while I calm down and remember it's not that big a deal.
I also locked my keys in it the other day and was feeling really really stupid until I remembered there was an easy fix in calling them.
I guess I am that wife that everyone talks about just keeping it for :$ :lol:
But I will keep getting it, it keeps me from feeling like a worthless dum dum when my car overheats on the side of the highway, and to me that's worth the 50 bucks.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3