Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:48 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Car Insurance
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:16 am 

Hello everyone

I'm a male getting into my late thirties and am looking to purchase a car. I was thinking about getting a larger, more powerful car, however I've heard only terrible car insurance quotes that have put me right off. This is why I'm tempted to perhaps purchase a smaller, lighter vehicle which will be a lot less expensive to insure. Obviously a larger car is what every male wants, but if the insurance price difference is that high perhaps a smaller one is a more wise option.

I would appreciate if you could let me know where you have found reasonably priced car insurers for large cars. Or if I'm being too optimistic and should maybe just get a smaller vehicle. Would appreciate the help, thank you!

Josef

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Car Insurance
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:26 pm 

Have you gotten quotes on both the large and the small car's respective insurances? I did that once (though in my case, for a hybrid vs. a compact car) and found the quotes to be nearly identical.

Online Profile   
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:07 pm 

Insurance rates vary by model, not so much size. There are situations where the same vehicle with different branding (say a Chevy vs GMC truck) will have rates that differ by 20% for the same driver because they have different theft loss rates.

There are sites where you can compare rates for individual models. I would not put too much faith in the big vs small difference. You will also get much better rates for a safer car. My wife's sports car is small but has a lot of power. It's also got all sorts of safety features and is not a frequently stolen model around here (Arizona). But it is a model that is often said to have high rates. Yet the rate we pay is relatively low compared to other cars we've owned

Call your insurance agent and get actual quotes..

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:50 am 

We used Farmer's for years. Then we recently switched to Progressive. We are paying half the rate of Famer's and great discounts (Snapshot for example gave us a 13% permanent discount). My extended family has used State Farm for a long time. Keep in mind that not all insurance providers are equal. The decision does depend on where you live. However, it also depends on your circumstances.

How long of a commute do you have to work? If a long commute then perhaps a smaller, more fuel efficient vehicle would be better. How often do you travel? Gas mileage on smaller, more efficient vehicles does make a difference. Are you looking to get married and start a family anytime soon? This might affect the decision of whether to buy a 2 door muscle car or a more family friendly vehicle. How long do you intend on keeping the vehicle? Are you buying it new or used?

I bought a new 4-door Honda Civic a few years back. I was commuting to another city for my MBA 3-5 times a week with about a 50 mile round trip. Paid off the car and plan to use it until it will not run anymore. Some people prefer used vehicles. It’s a good, reliable, fuel efficient vehicle. Also has enough room for at least 2-3 kids as our family grows (we’re currently pregnant with our first).

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:58 pm 

Current times require all of us to exercise prudence in all the matters of our daily lives. We all want to secure the risks we may face in future and insurance is one of the most utilized ways of doing so. The website Auto insurance Genie said recently that, all other things being equal in a policy, ladies will pay less insurance premiums nearly 100 percent of the time. But is there a real-world cause of that double standard? And can males do something to make those costs shrink? Car Insurance is insurance purchased for cars, trucks, motorcycles, and other road vehicles. Its primary use is to provide financial protection against physical damage and/or bodily injury resulting from traffic collisions and against liability that could also arise therefrom. The specific terms of vehicle insurance vary with legal regulations in each region. It's needed specially in times of accidents.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:35 am 

Eagle wrote:
We used Farmer's for years. Then we recently switched to Progressive. We are paying half the rate of Famer's and great discounts (Snapshot for example gave us a 13% permanent discount). My extended family has used State Farm for a long time. Keep in mind that not all insurance providers are equal. The decision does depend on where you live. However, it also depends on your circumstances.

Progressive is fine for car insurance until you have to use it. I used to be with them. Won't make that mistake again!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:59 am 

Tightwad wrote:
Eagle wrote:

Progressive is fine for car insurance until you have to use it. I used to be with them. Won't make that mistake again!

Okay sounds like a story here. We have been with Progressive for about a year with no accidents. What can we expect to face?

Thanks,

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:00 am 

Eagle wrote:
Tightwad wrote:
Eagle wrote:

Okay sounds like a story here. We have been with Progressive for about a year with no accidents. What can we expect to face?

Thanks,

Two of them actually...

Years ago I had a car stolen in the middle of the night & Progressive had a 60 day holding period before they would close the claim & pay me...which isn't uncommon but depends on the insurer as to how long. So I was renting cars & bumming rides off friends for two months. Then they lowballed the piss out of the car's value. KBB said it was worth around $16K & those idiots offered me $10K...which I was not about to stand for. Then I had to go to the adjusters office & get a little irate before we settled on $14,500 if I remember right.

In the second incident, the other guy had Progessive & I had already moved on to a much better insurer. Progressive said it was my fault & refused to pay for anything so in order for me not to get sued, it cost my insurance $100K to settle it.

In other words...you get what you pay for.

PS: I was with State Farm for many years. Their auto insurance is high as the sky unless you have been with them for decades & have multiple policies. Nowadays SF is more interested in selling you an annuity, CD, mutual fund, life insurance policy, etc that are loaded with fees rather than trying to compete on low margin car insurance.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:10 am 

Tightwad wrote:
I was with State Farm for many years. Their auto insurance is high as the sky unless you have been with them for decades & have multiple policies. Nowadays SF is more interested in selling you an annuity, CD, mutual fund, life insurance policy, etc that are loaded with fees rather than trying to compete on low margin car insurance.

I agree 100%! But we have been with them for decades and have multiple policies. I have not found any company that can beat them on price for us. And, as I've said elsewhere, they have been very proactive, prompt, and aggressive in resolving claims. We had an issue with them about 15-20 years ago where we had to get the state insurance regulator involved (and we won of course) but since then everything has been hunky dory.

But the way they push "investments" now has really ticked me off and I have actually written to them and told our agent NOT to ever bring that up with us. So far he has complied. Their non-insurance products are absolutely horrible!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:30 am 

You should get what you want and hunt down insurance discounts. If you have a clean driving record, it shouldn’t be too hard to get a good rate. Get automobile insurance quotes from the AARP to find some really competitive rates that you could use to compare others with.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:38 am 

Nowadays your driving record is not the only thing the insurance companies look at don't forget your credit matters in this instance.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:16 pm 

The type of car you drive is likely to have a big effect on the price of your car insurance. But while common sense tells us it costs less to insure a Fiesta than a Ferrari, the value of your vehicle isn’t the only factor involved in determining car insurance cost.

Amy S. Shermangun

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:59 pm 

There are lots of car insurance companies who are offering insurance at cheaper rates. But if you want the best cheap price for your insurance then check this link [spam removed] This is a directory for finding the best quote from different insurance companies and you can choose which you like according to your choice.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:22 am 

Josef Milan wrote:
Obviously a larger car is what every male wants

I thought that was an isolated thing amongst insecure, homophobes with a skin-deep macho attitude and a massive need to manifest the manhood they so clearly lack.

But that´s just me. ;)

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill