dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Risks with an untrustworthy family member

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:43 am

Post subject: Risks with an untrustworthy family member
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:16 pm 

One of my siblings has apparently given my work phone number to some company that is now trying to contact him. (To clarify, they're leaving messages for sibling, not me, on my work cell.) I've asked them to remove my number from their system and to stop calling me. They wouldn't tell me what they wanted, other than it was a personal business matter. They said my sibling gave them this number (no idea how sibling got it - I didn't share it). Sibling is, shall we say, untrustworthy, and we're not really in contact.

Now, however, I'm paranoid about whatever it is sibling involved in and a little worried that I'm going to get pulled into some kind of PITA situation. Does anyone have an untrustworthy family member / friend who has involved them in some form of nonsense or another? I pay for a credit monitoring service, and will keep an eye on my credit reports, but does anyone else have any suggestions on how to keep myself protected from whatever shenanegans in which sibling is involved?

Online Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Risks with an untrustworthy family member
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:40 pm 

alohabear wrote:
One of my siblings has apparently given my work phone number to some company that is now trying to contact him. (To clarify, they're leaving messages for sibling, not me, on my work cell.) I've asked them to remove my number from their system and to stop calling me. They wouldn't tell me what they wanted, other than it was a personal business matter. They said my sibling gave them this number (no idea how sibling got it - I didn't share it). Sibling is, shall we say, untrustworthy, and we're not really in contact.

Now, however, I'm paranoid about whatever it is sibling involved in and a little worried that I'm going to get pulled into some kind of PITA situation. Does anyone have an untrustworthy family member / friend who has involved them in some form of nonsense or another? I pay for a credit monitoring service, and will keep an eye on my credit reports, but does anyone else have any suggestions on how to keep myself protected from whatever shenanegans in which sibling is involved?

Yep, I do. My B-I-L is a complete moron. We have every collection agency known to man calling our home looking for this idiot since his cell phone is constantly being turned off because he can't pay the bill.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:29 pm 

AB, while your sibling might be a deadbeat, this might not actually be their doing. I've gotten the "personal business matter" calls for complete strangers. I suspect they are coming from collection agencies that are violating the law.

What I did was track down the company making the call then send a letter to the attorney general's office for the state they are calling from noting that your are being harassed, that the company has provided no means to effectively notify them to stop calling, and that you wish to pursue a criminal complaint.

This has worked for a on a few occasions over the years. It's not all that hard to do and sometimes you have to stand your ground with the AG's office.

The specific language you suggested in your post was used with me by a firm called Wakefield and Associates operating out of the state of Colorado. The Colorado AG office was ultimately helpful in getting the calls to stop but it took some pushback on my part. You might try contacting the Colorado AG and just saying that company is calling you and you want the calls stopped. They should contact the company on your behalf.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:06 pm 

I second what DH has said. If you wish to get rid of this situation, it will be better to contact the Attorney General's office and inform them about the whole issue. If required you might be able to take legal actions against them.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill