dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Fallacies of Logic @ GRS

  GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:29 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Fallacies of Logic @ GRS
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:14 am 

Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 2:23 pm
Posts: 810
One of my little hobbies is attempting to hold to sound logic when I make arguments. Not that I am very good at it. And one of the very best ways to learn how to argue, is to learn from the mistakes of others. It also helps you wad through much of the BS people throw at you (again, I'm not very good at it).

You can read more about fallacies here:

http://www.csun.edu/~dgw61315/fallacies.html

Of course wikipedia has some information as well as just googling "fallacy(ies) of logic".

So, post the fallacies you see at GRS here. Not to embarrass the person (so leave their name out), but so we can all learn. Leave the arguments of the topic at hand within the appropriate thread. We're not here to make your point (or listen to you make your point), that belongs in the thread where the statement(s) originated. We are here to learn from your logical error (or a great display of logic!).

Please no bashing of people (as that would be an ad hominem) and please don't come in here and claim your fallacy if it is pointed out. Merely learn how you can improve.

_________________
Bichon Frise

"If you only have 1 year to live, move to Penn...as it will seem like an eternity."


Top
Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Fallacies of Logic @ GRS
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:20 am 

Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 8:14 pm
Posts: 1953
I'm actually quite familiar with the Fallacies of Logic. I got my Bachelor's Degree in Communications.

I do prefer http://www.onegoodmove.org/fallacy/toc.htm of the Fallacies. Much simpler layout and easier for the layman.


Top
Online Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Fallacies of Logic @ GRS
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:24 am 

Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 2:23 pm
Posts: 810
I'll start this party off...

Quote:
[name redacted], I know you don't think much of me, being that I'm female and all...


1) I believe this argument is trying to discredit the person they are arguing against by accusing them of an ad hominem, which ironically is an ad hominem attack itself.

2) I also believe this argument is an Argumentum ad misericordiam. In which, they are attempting to appeal to pity based on the gender. One's gender has no bearing on whether their opinion on the matter at hand (at least in what was being argued). They are simply trying to create pity for themselves based on their gender to prop up their argument.

_________________
Bichon Frise

"If you only have 1 year to live, move to Penn...as it will seem like an eternity."


Top
Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Fallacies of Logic @ GRS
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:32 am 

Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 8:14 pm
Posts: 1953
Why wouldn't we simply point out the fallacies in the thread where they occur? Wouldn't it be more effective to point out a bad or false argument during the course of a conversation?


Top
Online Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Fallacies of Logic @ GRS
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:50 am 

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:59 am
Posts: 255
Honestly, I said it less because of making a sound argument and more because I am still furious over his dismissal of my arguments as "women think thus" in the other thread. I jumped on a chance to call out his sexism. There wasn't much logic involved :D


Top
Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Fallacies of Logic @ GRS
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:05 pm 
Moderator

Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:01 am
Posts: 5398
kaitlyn142 wrote:
Honestly, I said it less because of making a sound argument and more because I am still furious over his dismissal of my arguments as "women think thus" in the other thread. I jumped on a chance to call out his sexism. There wasn't much logic involved :D


Don't let it bother you Kaitlyn, I don't think he is as smart as you.


Top
Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Fallacies of Logic @ GRS
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:11 pm 

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:59 am
Posts: 255
DoingHomework wrote:
kaitlyn142 wrote:
Honestly, I said it less because of making a sound argument and more because I am still furious over his dismissal of my arguments as "women think thus" in the other thread. I jumped on a chance to call out his sexism. There wasn't much logic involved :D


Don't let it bother you Kaitlyn, I don't think he is as smart as you.


Heh, thanks. It may be weird, but you can insult my looks, my religion, my hobbies, whatever. The only thing that will really get to me is to dismiss me based on gender. One too many people asking why I'm a scientist and not a mother/teacher/nurse I think.


Top
Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Fallacies of Logic @ GRS
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:33 pm 

Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:35 am
Posts: 1148
Location: Maryland
Quote:
One too many people asking why I'm a scientist and not a mother/teacher/nurse I think.


X- Gender bias. HA!!HA!!

I haven't been involved in these threads except reading them during my boring science-filled days, but they are very entertaining.


Top
Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Fallacies of Logic @ GRS
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:37 pm 

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:59 am
Posts: 255
peachy wrote:
Quote:
One too many people asking why I'm a scientist and not a mother/teacher/nurse I think.


X- Gender bias. HA!!HA!!

I haven't been involved in these threads except reading them during my boring science-filled days, but they are very entertaining.


Peachy, I didn't realize you were a scientist! How did I miss that? What do you do?


Top
Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Fallacies of Logic @ GRS
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:24 pm 

Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:35 am
Posts: 1148
Location: Maryland
I'm an enginerd and going back to school for my MBA. My work pays for it, so I'm not a part of the loans conversations, thank goodness. My piddly loans were paid for a long time ago. :clap:


Top
Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Fallacies of Logic @ GRS
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:46 pm 

Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 2:23 pm
Posts: 810
VinTek wrote:
Why wouldn't we simply point out the fallacies in the thread where they occur? Wouldn't it be more effective to point out a bad or false argument during the course of a conversation?


Straw Man

_________________
Bichon Frise

"If you only have 1 year to live, move to Penn...as it will seem like an eternity."


Top
Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Fallacies of Logic @ GRS
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:07 pm 

Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:59 pm
Posts: 62
Location: San Diego, CA
Bichon Frise wrote:
VinTek wrote:
Why wouldn't we simply point out the fallacies in the thread where they occur? Wouldn't it be more effective to point out a bad or false argument during the course of a conversation?


Straw Man


Argument to logic


Top
Offline Profile E-mail   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net & kodeki