dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - What's the best thing someone has said to you?

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:03 am

Post subject: What's the best thing someone has said to you?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:31 pm 

I'm just wondering because at my going away party a couple months ago I had a goodbye book that was passed around and people wrote me notes in it. Mostly fun memories about things we'd done together over the last 4 years. Tonight I was looking at it again and I flipped through the pages and saw a note that I'd missed (because there were a few blank pages in between). In that note, the person told me that I didn't know it but that I had changed their life. They went on to explain how and to thank me for something I didn't even know that I did. It was pretty amazing to read. Realizing that I had touched someone like that by just being who I am was a pretty powerful feeling. When I think about it, aside from "I love you" it's probably the best thing anyone has ever said to me.

So, my question to you is: What's the best thing anyone has ever said to you?

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:22 am 

I got a call two weeks ago from a doctor's assistant who said that, 'the tests came back negative.'. That ranks pretty high with me, because I was worried.

I thought this thread was going to be PF related when I jumped in, but maybe I'm wrong and the Gen Disc. forum is for non-PF stuff. Sorry if I'm not all hyper-emotional or anything, but to get it back in the realm of finance, I felt pretty encouraged when the banking accounts manager I set up my roth-IRA with told me 'frankly, you're saving a s#!+load'. That made me feel pretty good because it gave me more assurity that I'm doing the right things now that will pay off in the long run.

Sure, these aren't 'b3st evar' things, but aside from that white haired old dude showing up with a publishers clearing check and saying 'hi', I'd probably let most stuff slip off the radar...

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:46 pm 

Quote:
I had a goodbye book that was passed around and people wrote me notes in it.

I think books like this are THE best kind of books - what a great gift your friends gave you.

One of the most recent best things that someone said to me was from my girls school teachers. It was the last day of school and I came home to find a beautiful vase of flowers on our front porch. The card was from both of my girls teachers and from the resource teachers saying how much they love me and appreciate all I do for my girls. I was blown away that they would take time out of their hectic schedules and send me flowers. I was so touched by their note that it sits on my dashboard in the car and whenever I'm feeling like a lousy Mom, I just read their words.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:23 am 

A colleague of mine offered to help me with some DIY.

I had a whole, 'these people actually like me' moment with that. Sometimes its the little things I guess.

http://plonkee.com and http://thereligiousatheist.com

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:35 pm 

I really like this thread so I'll keep it going.

I guess I can't put my finger on it, but I've been having really good feeling stemming from a recent job position switch/change/promotion. Some people, who really have plenty of other things to do, are going out of their way to pull for me. Along the lines of Plonkee's comment, the feeling that people actually value your work/company/expertise is pretty great.

Hey, I guess it is still PF-related. But then, if my job was just about the finances, I wouldn't be such a happy camper.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:32 pm 

I guess I'm not a real touchy-feely kind of guy, because the best advice I think I was ever given was from my high school baseball coach. It was harsh, but every time I start wondering why people don't think I'm special (think Barney generation) I recall it.

"You're the only one who gives a damn about you."

He went on to explain that in the long run we're not the only ones capable of making our own situation better, but we're the only ones we can depend on to care enough to do so.

Again, nothing that'll be splashed across a Thomas Kinkade painting in 16 pt. Helvetica, but inspiring it it's own sociopathic sort of way.

But usually when an occasion calls for some such sentimentality I tend to revert to the traditional closing of Garrison Keillor's Writer's Almanac on NPR.
"Be well. Do good work, and keep in touch."

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:47 pm 

sdkramer wrote:
"You're the only one who gives a damn about you."

It may not be sunshine and roses, but it's kinda true. One thing I mention several times in my classes is that "you're the only one who really cares about your money. everyone else only cares about spending it for you."

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill