Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:30 am

Post subject: Getting quicken, which version - Deluxe or Premium
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:36 pm 

Which version of Quicken should I get? Deluxe or Premium, Right now I've got no investments, I might by the end of the year, which'll be an IRA.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:06 pm 

I use Premium but I bet I use less than 10% of the investment-specific functionality. Well, maybe more than that, since it passively does things like downloading asset classes, trying to help me make decisions about my allocation. I get that functionality from my brokerage. With a little creative thinking, you can probably figure out how to use a regular account register to track your investments, assuming you're only going to have the four basic transactions: buy, sell, interest, and dividends. If they have a free trial, try it out.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:39 pm 

Do you need Quicken at all right now? You could track your investments in a spreadsheet for now. Wait a year or so till you have more investments.

For what's it's worth, I used to use Quicken but now I just have my own spreadsheet. It takes me about 10 minutes of work each month to track:
- my retirement savings
- husband's retirement savings
- home value
- general mutual funds & investments
- college savings plan
- bank account balances
- mortgage

You might want to think about whether you really need to spend the money...if you want to delay the cost for a bit.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:32 am 

If your only investment for now will be an IRA, you don't need to track it very closely anyway as you shouldn't care much about its performance in the short term.

I do use Quicken, but in my opinion the only reason to use it over a spreadsheet is the integration with your bank's online banking system. Quicken is great in that respect because it lets you do all your banking and billpaying through one interface, and it makes reconciling your accounts a breeze. However, if you end up being dependent on that feature you'll end up paying for it, because Intuit makes sure that older versions of Quicken eventually become incompatible with online banking, forcing you to buy upgrades.

I bought Quicken specifically because my bank offered a direct connection to online banking from within Quicken, but that bank was bought out by another company and they didn't maintain that feature for my version of Quicken (Quicken for Mac). And my Canadian bank doesn't offer it either. So for the past five years I've been using Quicken the old-fashioned way, as a glorified spreadsheet, and honestly I think a spreadsheet would do just as good a job.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:58 am 

The main reasons to get Quicken is
1. Not made by Microshaft (AKA Microsoft)

2. Track all accounts (bank/credit)

3. Create Graphs

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:36 am 

boldinvest wrote:
The main reasons to get Quicken is
1. Not made by Microshaft (AKA Microsoft)

2. Track all accounts (bank/credit)

3. Create Graphs

You can perform all of those functions with a spreadsheet, and if you want to avoid Microsoft there are plenty of other spreadsheet options out there, including Google's free online version.

But it's true that Quicken is set up so you can do this easily. I'm not handy with spreadsheets myself, so I prefer using Quicken.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:09 am 

graphs are too hard to do in something like excel.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:35 am 

Really? I have all sorts of graphs in Excel. I just use the wizard.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:14 am 

I use OpenOffice to do all of that.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:17 pm 

As someone who has over 10 years worth of historical data in Quicken, I'd recommend that you just go ahead and jump in with a dedicated software package of some sort (probably Quicken or Money -- maybe Money Dance? never used that one). While spreadsheets are all well and good, when your finances get more complex there's a high likelihood that you'll want something more capable. If you use spreadsheets up to that point, you'll likely miss out on a lot of historical data when you finally make the jump.

As for the question of Deluxe vs. Basic, I have no idea. I have a Mac and I think they only have one flavor for Macs. I think it's probably akin to Deluxe, though, as it does everything I need and more.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill