Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:17 am

Post subject: Bearing false witness
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:25 pm 

Isn't that one of acts prohibited by the commandments?

I find it so hypocritical that so many people who call themselves Christians persist in spreading blatant lies about politicians they oppose. I'm reacting to a comment from Facebook friend about a local Congressional race. I know her from high school. The candidate is from our small town and we are both familiar with the facts in queston. She posted something that I know she knows is untrue about the candidate. When I PMed her about it her response was along the lines of "Yeah I know it's not true but we're trying to get (his opponent) elected because he is a christian."

So, it's ok to lie...to bear false witness...because your pastor told you to?

This isn't mere FUD. This is knowingly lying. And she is not alone. These people are so hypocrital!

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Bearing false witness
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:29 pm 

Funny, I am an atheist and have lost many cheap shots in life (career mostly) due to "difficulty" to lie. Reason? Because I think higher of myself than the small person I felt like getting caught lying many years ago (youngster).

Also - I value the fact that if I would write something on Facebook (I donĀ“t), my friends (who seldom visit FB) would trust it to be true.

The "word" of god has nothing to do with it.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:05 am 

I'm not a christian but I don't lie because I don't like the way it makes me feel.
I would make a point to "call this person out" about those lies. It is damaging another persons reputation!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:35 am 

DoingHomework, are you in a position to call that lady out for her lie? Regardless, I think it's dispicable that some people will stoop that low to get their candidate elected. It's a sin, a fraud, an abuse of the process.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:42 am 

LeRainDrop wrote:
DoingHomework, are you in a position to call that lady out for her lie? Regardless, I think it's dispicable that some people will stoop that low to get their candidate elected. It's a sin, a fraud, an abuse of the process.

In this case I am. As I said, she and I both knew the guy very well in the past. The opposition is running an attack ad that is absolutely false. And she is repeating the same lies. It's bad enough when people just repeat statements they have heard without verifying them. But when you already know they are false it is lying...

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:40 am 

DH, I understand and empathize with your frustration. After all, it regards someone you know and that makes it personal. But to be fair, your story is still anecdotal. I don't think Christians have a monopoly on lying and hypocrisy.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:39 am 

VinTek wrote:
DH, I understand and empathize with your frustration. After all, it regards someone you know and that makes it personal. But to be fair, your story is still anecdotal. I don't think Christians have a monopoly on lying and hypocrisy.

No, they don't. And I don't even have an issue with attack ads in general. But this person constantly sends out "Christian" stuff on Facebook, which again, I don't really have a problem with, I can choose to unfriend her if I don't want to see that. It's the hypocrisy that bothers me. It seems to be ok to lie if the truth conflicts with your beliefs. The right wing is trying to demonize a guy with an allegation she knows is untrue. The truth she knows conflicts with the beliefs she wants to have about the guy so she just disengages her brain.

But, no, I don't think christians, or conservatives, have a monopoly on that. But atheists don't pretend to have a commandment against lying so the hypocrisy is not quite the same. In any case, it is just anecdotal as you say...more of a rant than making a thoughtful point.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:54 pm 

DoingHomework wrote:
But atheists don't pretend to have a commandment against lying so the hypocrisy is not quite the same.

True... but some of us have more self respect than to just blatantly lie. I don't need a commandment to respect myself and because of my morals and integrity others also respect me, and know that If I am saying something then to the best of my knowledge it's not a lie.

Personally.... I'd bust her out on FB for the lie and if possible provide the proof that she was lying. Let the world see her for what she is.

I actually had to do that with one of my ex-friends. He kept trying to lie to make himself look better and when it came at my expense... I burned him and his other friends that were there backed me up....even his girlfriend. They weren't together long after that.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:56 am 

A response of "if that Christian politician lies as much as you do, I don't think I want him to get elected anyway" would cross my mind, but I don't think I'd actually send it. :(

Same with "so he's lying to get into office, then promising to tell the truth once he's elected?"

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:40 am 

oh I'd definitely send it. But then again I dont care who I piss off.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:03 pm 

I am not a christian and nor a hypocrat, I do not like to lie and specially not to support a person from my religion or caste just to make him stand on the election dias to win and damage the reputation of the opposition knowing that it is wrong, just try to make her understand that and see if you can get her to stop doing that.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill