Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:45 am

Post subject: Jumping into the Fire
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:54 pm 

Just putting this out there;

A position opened up and I am debating whether I should apply for it only because I need the money.

The supervisor is pretty much useless: he's not available just concerned about his paycheck and what's going on with his life.

The job description entails a lot on any ones plate; but this person has been know to start things and pass it on to someone else once they don't feel like dealing with it.

Quite frankly the work ratio compared to the salary is horrible but it is great experience and I love learning.

What's your advice?

You ever went to another job just because of the pay and throw caution to the wind?

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Jumping into the Fire
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:03 pm 

I once considered applying for a job that would have required a huge amount of horrible work - very long hours and not so interesting travel - just because it paid enormously. In the end I did not apply. If I had applied it was the kind of thing I expected to only stay with for 1-2 years.

If you are going to do something like this I think you have to look at it as a stepping stone. Will doing that job for some period of time put you in a significantly better position for the next job than you are now. "Significantly better" is vague but you'll need to determine that for yourself. It may not be just financial.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:51 pm 

DoingHomework wrote:
I once considered applying for a job that would have required a huge amount of horrible work - very long hours and not so interesting travel - just because it paid enormously. In the end I did not apply. If I had applied it was the kind of thing I expected to only stay with for 1-2 years.

If you are going to do something like this I think you have to look at it as a stepping stone. Will doing that job for some period of time put you in a significantly better position for the next job than you are now. "Significantly better" is vague but you'll need to determine that for yourself. It may not be just financial.

I concur.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:16 pm 

I've had lousy supervisors, lousy tasks, and lousy work environments, but most of the time I still figured out some way to enjoy them at least a little. It really does help if you view the job as a stepping stone, something to be tolerated "for now" as you work your way to bigger and better things. It's also possible the added income alone will help relieve some of your financial stress and make life in general better, even with the job.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:36 pm 

Great responses from all of you! Thank you.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:04 pm 

You have to tolerate every thing at a work place if you desire to learn something and desire to get your future safe with good income around you, lousy work and lousy bosses are the part of a job, just get in there and try and make fun out of it along with learning.
I will prefer to do the job if it will help me to grow in my career in future.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill