Any Collectors Here?

Anything goes. But keep it civil, please.

Moderator: lvergon

vanderbilt79

Any Collectors Here?

Postby vanderbilt79 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:03 am

I know GRS is geared towards frugality, but does anyone spend money on collectibles? Personally, as a baseball fan, I really enjoy collecting baseball memorabilia and cards. Most of the time it's a negative sum game, but every now and then money can be made. For me it's the enjoyment of the hobby that keeps me buying.

I'm a big Bob Gibson collector and I am in the process of putting a graded PSA 7 collection together that includes all his Topps cards from his playing days (1959-1975). So far I have 9 of the 17 cards.

1960, 1961,1963

1965, 1966, 1967

1968, 1969, 1971

Anyone else a collector? Show off what you're collecting!
I just want to be something more than the mud in your eyes. I want to be the clay in your hands. - Mineral

Northern light

Re: Any Collectors Here?

Postby Northern light » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:17 am

I collect stocks in the Swedish investment company "Lundbergföretagen" for both me, the ms and our kids. They are easy to maintain, give some cash every spring - and I imagine it will pay off in the long run.

silvor

Postby silvor » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:01 pm

Funny I just saw this post after I posted my "dilema" on collecting vs saving.

I collected many things over the years - coins, toys, music, firearms, baseball cards, guitars. It's all been sold at one time or another to pay off debts. I now have no debt, but nothing else either. :(

Collecting coins with precious metals has certain "investment" value to them, but I've been talked out of doing that as metals are at 20 year highs. If I had everything I ever collected I'd have a pretty cool collection.

kombat

Postby kombat » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:09 pm

I have about $16,000 in Magic: The Gathering cards, although I actually use them to play, and not strictly to collect, but they're going up in value! (At least, that's what I tell my wife)

bpgui

Postby bpgui » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:41 pm

kombat wrote:I have about $16,000 in Magic: The Gathering cards, although I actually use them to play, and not strictly to collect, but they're going up in value! (At least, that's what I tell my wife)

Are your sure about that figure? They're only worth what someone else will pay you for them. :D

And for the OP... as a Cardinal fan, I love your collection.

I really only collect a shot glass or two from any place I travel... Certainly nothing that will ever be worth more than I put into it, but at >$5 a pop, I'm not too worried about it.

DoingHomework

Postby DoingHomework » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:03 pm

I collect shares of stock...and I suppose the odd piece of junk that has no value but I can't bring myself to throwing away.

I've got some stamps from when I was a kid. They probably aren't worth much but that is something I might pursue when I am retired so I keep the collection. I also have a few hundred baseball cards from the late 80s. I was never into baseball much. I was stupid and thought they might be worth something someday. They are probably in great condition but I have not looked at them in years. Maybe I'll sell then as a lot on ebay soon.

We also tend to collect books.

Northern light

Postby Northern light » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:13 am

If I were to "collect" something, I imagine it would be something like old bikecycles (Husqvarna and Hermes) or maybe hot bulb engines made by Pythagora.

What I actually do collect is experiences, impressions and pictures from urban exploration of old industrial sights...

Kind of biased against mechanichal/industrial hostory...

Return to “General Discussion”