dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Furniture for cheap?

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:20 pm

Post subject: Furniture for cheap?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:39 am 
Site Admin

I'm looking for ideas on how to acquire nice furniture for cheap.

My recent trip to Europe has prompted me to make some changes to one room in our house. As you may know, I own many books. Over the past year, I've trimmed my collection from "a few thousand" to "a couple thousand". I'm ready to trim this to maybe "a few hundred". The room in question is our library, and is currently filled with bookshelves.

What I'd like to do is get rid of most of the bookshelves and create a sort of horseshoe-shaped seating cluster for people to gather and chat. This would require the purchase of new furniture (by which I mean "new to me" -- used furniture is probably fine). I'm looking for ideas on how to acquire good quality furniture inexpensively. Craigslist? eBay? Auctions? Classified ads? Something else?

The real sticking point is that I'm going to be rather particular on style. Our home is old -- built around 1900 -- and we've done our best to make things look "period". We haven't been as successful as I had hoped, but if I'm going to make changes to this room, I'm going to be firm on this point.

Also -- I want an area rug or two but don't know the first thing about them.

How does a frugal fellow furnish his home inexpensively?

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:43 am 

Well, I'd do Ikea for rugs though they probably don't have the kind of furniture you want. Check out estate sales, auctions, craigslist, second hand stores...

My aunt does estate sales and they are always getting rid of furniture. Personally I'm not a fan of doing soft furniture 2nd hand, but if you're careful I'm sure it would be ok.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Hm. I've been meaning to check out the new IKEA in Portland. It opened while we were gone. I've never been to one and don't really know what to expect.

The real problem is that my taste in furniture runs to Rejuvenation. Have you been there before? Beautiful, beautiful stuff, but priced accordingly...

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:58 am 

For furniture since you're looking for period pieces, I'd try estate sales/auctions. You could try antiques stores but that adds a middleman. I'd go to the source.

Area rugs are tough to find. It's taken us a few years to find rugs that we like. This is an area that I would avoid auctions/estate sales unless you get the item dirt cheap. We've bought several rugs only to get them home and find out that a color is off, or the size wasn't quite right, or it didn't go well with the furniture. For this reason we now only buy rugs from places with a good return policy.

The last 3 rugs we have bought have been very distinct different styles but have all come from the same store. It's called Home Goods and I think it's a home decorating sister store to TJMaxx. Basically, it's a hit or miss discount store for home accessories. If you have one near you, I'd highly recommend checking them out.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:16 pm 

nix on the ikea, it's cheap particle board junk. it would be a false economy that you would have to replace it in five years.

my local sam's club has nice plush "real wool" area rugs for about 300 bucks. i buy mine there and replace them about every three years.

i have had really good luck with cash in hand and estate sales, junk sales, and good will. i would choose three matching loveseats for the horseshoe area. bassett furniture "made to order" has nice period looking loveseats. ethan allen too. i would also encourage nice matching leather sofas that you would have for the rest of your life.

i second the idea that used upholstered furniture is rather "gross". new is better for upholstered furniture. i WOULD consider used leather sofas.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:33 pm 

Most of my furniture was purchased at flea markets and yard sales. In New England, where I used to live, that's the best place to find old period furniture. My stepmother once wanted to send us something for the house and asked me what our decor was; I replied "Early Attic." That describes it perfectly. None of the chairs around our dining room table match, but it looks great. I have a few wooden chairs from the early 1900s that I bought for $20 each, and a lovely antique desk that I got for only $15 because it needed a bit of work. Estate sales and auctions are another possibility, but prices tend to be higher.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:38 pm 

Some of what Ikea sells is, in fact, cheap and somewhat disposable, however some of their product is actually quite good. THere is a reason that some of their items that are visually similar vary greatly in price. However, they tend to be very modern in style. Very clean lines and spare. Probably not what you're looking for. If you're good with tools and know how to sew, you may be able to find some stuff at thrift stores or flea markets that could be beautiful with a little work and some new upholstrey. (sp?)

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:40 pm 

Another option might be fond an unfinshed furniture store and find something you like and finish it yourself.

If you have the time and space, you can save a bunch of money doing it this way.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:55 pm 

ladykemma2 wrote:
nix on the ikea, it's cheap particle board junk. it would be a false economy that you would have to replace it in five years.

Some of their stuff is fine and made out of solid wood. It wouldn't however fit the style JD is probably looking for. The reason I mentioned them is that they tend to have a great rug selection in many styles from cheap throws for $2 to HUGE wool orientals at a couple thousand a pop. I got two wool rugs there for $50 each. They're 5'8" and while probably not TOP quality, they're nice and they do the job.

People dismiss Ikea out of hand but if you look around they actually have some decent stuff at good prices.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

Since I've never been to an IKEA, I'm willing to look at them at least once. But not on a weekend. :)

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:39 pm 

I have no idea how many stores they have by you but for some weekends make no difference. Before they opened a few more store in this area the one by my house would be a zoo every single day. It was near impossible to find parking on a Tuesday evening.

They are worth a look. Maybe not for your specific purpose at the moment but if you ever need cheap kitchen items or a temporary (3-5 years) piece of furniture its a great store. They do have some nicer higher end item like others have said but I have never owned any so I can't really comment. The $20 couch table that my microwave sat on for 4 years was great though ;)

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

craigslist.

seriously. Two years ago I when I and my friend were moving into an apartment we scoured craigslist and watched entries. Some lady put everything in her townhome up for the taking (free!) because she sold it and didnt want to handle movers. We got several great loads all for free, and could likely sell what we have today for thousands

Czar of GRS Forums.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:01 am 

craigslist is indeed a good idea, but I think it works better for buyers than sellers. I have a queen-size futon and frame that I'm selling for real cheap ($50) because it's too big to fit in a car or station wagon; you really need a van or pickup truck, and I'm requiring whoever buys it to come pick it up. I accepted the first offer, and subsequently got a ton of other offers that I turned down because it had already been spoken for. But on the scheduled pickup date, the person didn't show up and didn't return my emails and phone calls. I contacted the other people who had wanted it, and none of them do anymore. Bah, I have to advertise it again!

As for Ikea, we had supper on Friday at a friend's apartment that is 100% furnished with high-end Ikea stuff and I have to say (grudgingly) that it looked fantastic. Way too modern for my taste but very nice and everything looked well made...there really are two levels of Ikea and the high level is good stuff.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Love Ikea
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:12 pm 

Ikea, Ikea, Ikea. I would review the catalog/internet site before heading to your local store (which is always a fun outing) to help you focus in on what you are looking for. While a lot of Ikea is modern, I have some very nice 'high end' Ikea furniture (solid wood that I've had for 15 years) that is neutral and fits well in my 1925 historic home.

Otherwise, I would look for furniture outlets and floor models from your local stores. I'm a big fan of Pottery Barn and I always check the local stores (3-4 within 1/2 hour of my home) for scratch and dents before I go to order something new from PB.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill