dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Lifelong smoker blames tobacco for his death

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:20 pm

Post subject: Lifelong smoker blames tobacco for his death
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:36 am 

OK, I know this isn't finance-related, so that's why this is in the General forum. However, http://www.cbc.ca/cp/Oddities/100303/K030304AU.html evoked a strong reaction from me, and I just felt the need to share it somewhere. From the article:

Quote:
A smoker who died after battling emphysema has had his dying wish granted with the placement of a "Smoking killed me" sign on his hearse and his grave.

Albert Whittamore blamed his youthful smoking habit for the lung disease. He said before he died at age 85 in February that he wanted the sign to serve as a warning to young people about the dangers of tobacco smoking.

(Emphasis is mine)

Hang on a second - This guy has smoked his whole life, and lived to be 85! Last time I checked, that's a decade longer than the average life expectancy! And we're supposed to feel cigarettes somehow robbed him of life? Sounds to me like the guy had a pretty good run, particularly for a lifelong smoker! How is this news, other than the sheer idiocy of it?

Aaaah, that feels better.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Lifelong smoker blames tobacco for his death
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:23 pm 

Yes, but how many of those 85 years were enjoyable? Emphysema doesn't just hit you overnight and then you die. It's a long-term, irreversible degenerative condition. He probably suffered for decades.

Smoking is the primary cause of emphysema. Furthermore, there are more than 250 chemicals in cigarette smoke that are known to be toxic or carcinogenic, including carbon monoxide, ammonia, formaldehyde, and hydrogen cyanide. Some smokers like this guy manage to survive into their 80s or 90s; others (like my mother and several close friends) die in their 30s or 40s. But there is no level of smoking that is considered "safe" for human health -- even one cigarette every five years or breathing a small amount of secondhand smoke is considered harmful (see US Surgeon General's report).

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:43 pm 

Jeez, this guy could have lived to be 115 if he didn't smoke!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:33 am 

I don't believe that this man really enjoyed his life smoking :talk: ...Well i can say that smoking kills and one of the factors that can cause emphysema. Emphysema is a slow disease. It develops into a full blown disease over many years. So a person does not come to know if he is suffering from it until he finds it difficult to breathe. The effects of emphysema are permanent and irreversible. But a smoker can arrest further damage to his heart if he stops smoking immediately. A smoker can improve his lung function to a great extent by kicking the habit. :talk:

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill