Help free loading off older parent

Anything goes. But keep it civil, please.

Moderator: lvergon

sadandmad

Help free loading off older parent

Postby sadandmad » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:46 pm

Hello,

I am seeking ideas on how to address an issue where a credit card was used by an in-law without permission. An in-law used my fathers card for over $5000+ of unauthorized purchases. The in-law was given the card to put gas in the car and then used it for other things signing the receipts under my fathers name. I personally wanted to call the police etc. but my father did not so I am trying to find a way to get the charges removed and applied to the in-law - I am just lost on what to do -

Thank you for any input

Tightwad

Re: Help free loading off older parent

Postby Tightwad » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:35 pm

sadandmad wrote:Hello,

I am seeking ideas on how to address an issue where a credit card was used by an in-law without permission. An in-law used my fathers card for over $5000+ of unauthorized purchases. The in-law was given the card to put gas in the car and then used it for other things signing the receipts under my fathers name. I personally wanted to call the police etc. but my father did not so I am trying to find a way to get the charges removed and applied to the in-law - I am just lost on what to do -

Thank you for any input

Any action needs to be initiated by your father since it's his credit card. If he's not willing to do that, then you're outta luck. Afterall he did give them the card regardless of any verbal agreement.

Jerry

Postby Jerry » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:54 pm

I agree with Tightwad. As the card is in your father's name, he will have to take steps in this regard. He will have to file charges against the in-law. Moreover, I guess, it will be difficult for you to remove the charges under your father's account and apply it on the account of the in-law.
Jerry
Forum Moderator, MortgageFit Community

peachy

Postby peachy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:06 am

I agree with the others. If it was just for gas, your dad should've considered giving them a gas card (shell, exxon, bp), or bought them a prepaid card worth 100 dollars, and if they chose to spend the $100 on junk food in the gas station, so be it. Lesson learned.

RayinPenn

Postby RayinPenn » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:34 am

Sounds like a $5,000 dollar lesson on why you never give your credit card to anyone else. Me I'd confront the thief and make sure he knew not to be anywhere near me - ever.
RayinPenn

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.”
― Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”