Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:28 am

Post subject: leaving coins around the house or business
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:08 pm 

I came across several stories about certain cultures where people would leave coins in various parts of their house or shop as a "good luck" charm for prosperity. "money calls to money." I looked it up today and saw that it had Russian origins, but I could have swore I saw this custom being practiced in shops in southeast asia, too.

Have any of you heard of doing this? Have any of you guys heard of similar customs or practice them in your families?

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: leaving coins around the house or business
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:37 am 

my spouse once made about $5 in a hotel room where the person before us hid various $1 bills for house keeping to find.

Having traveled somewhat regularly to SE asia, I have never heard about this.

"If you only have 1 year to live, move to Penn...as it will seem like an eternity."

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:42 am 

Bichon Frise wrote:
my spouse once made about $5 in a hotel room where the person before us hid various $1 bills for house keeping to find.

That's pretty funny. But did it make you feel like your room had not been cleaned adequately before your arrival?

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:29 pm 

LeRainDrop wrote:
Bichon Frise wrote:

That's pretty funny. But did it make you feel like your room had not been cleaned adequately before your arrival?

Sort of. But, I lump hotel/motel rooms into 2 categories. 1) Satisfactory. Doesn't smell like smoke, sheets seem ok, although I always peel the "comforter" back, bathrooms are ok, clean enough that I don't feel like I am walking away with any fungal diseases, time in room is limited to sleeping, showering etc. I refer to these rooms as, "ok, but I won't walk barefooted." 2) above satisfactory. In essence, I'll walk barefooted and don't mind spending time in the room.

The room in question was that of the former. We were on a road trip, just doing a quick overnight and since the dollars weren't found between the sheets or under the pillow cases, but rather in the microwave, in the cord to the iron, freezer portion of the fridge, ice bucket that wasn't used etc, I didn't feel too durdy.

"If you only have 1 year to live, move to Penn...as it will seem like an eternity."

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:03 am 

Justus wrote:
I came across several stories about certain cultures where people would leave coins in various parts of their house or shop as a "good luck" charm for prosperity. "money calls to money." I looked it up today and saw that it had Russian origins, but I could have swore I saw this custom being practiced in shops in southeast asia, too.

Have any of you heard of doing this? Have any of you guys heard of similar customs or practice them in your families?

I have heard of Filipinos doing this. Something about coins at the windows...

Track my fiscal fitness with $0.5 million in debt: http://getrichslowly.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=61052 Latest update: As of April 16, I've paid off $21,400 in credit card debt this year (after starting with $35k)

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill