dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Moving Home...

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:28 pm

Post subject: Moving Home...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:42 pm 

So next week I'm moving home....to live with my parents. Woohoo. Fingers crossed, it should only be for about 5-6 months. Once I finish up grad school in a few months, I'll be able to devote my time to finding a good job in my field, as well as spend more time with my family. I'm so grateful to my parents for letting me stay, but things need to be different from the last time I lived there full-time (circa 2004).

I've written up a rental agreement stating what rent I can pay, what chores and bills I will be responsible for, and that this agreement can be reviewed and renewed as needed. I asked my Dad if he wanted to look it over and suggest changes - he couldn't get out of the room fast enough. He mumbled that we could have a "gentleman's agreement" and don't need any paperwork. My mom is no better, saying that I "need a break" after all that schooling, and shouldn't worry about trying to find a job right away.

So how do I make them take me seriously? I started reading GRS a few years ago and it's really helped me put budgeting, living below my means, and saving for retirement early and often into perspective. My parents have some different financial perspectives than I do when it comes to these topics, but they've always been very responsible with money. What I can't get through their heads is that while I'm going to be "living under their roof" as the saying goes, I need to maintain my financial independence. Any ideas how?

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Moving Home...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:17 pm 

Just tell them honestly what your intentions are. Surely they can understand that.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Moving Home...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:36 pm 

Hello,

Drawing from personal experience, I know there are lots of ways to help make your household move easier and more smooth.

Moving pretty much always takes longer than you think it's going to take. So, be smart and plan ahead. There's lots of packing and organizing you can get out of the way two months in advance of your move.

Cheers! :)
[spam removed]

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill