Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:52 am

Post subject: fundraising
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:18 pm 

I am considering helping out with fundraising for a local rec council children's dance organization activity. I don't know the details of the budget but I'm guessing that they are looking to offset costs for costumes, lighting, sound, and location rental fee costs etc. assocaited with a recital.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this and/or advice.

How about letting me know what fundraising approaches bugs you and what pulls at your heart (*cough cough* purse) strings?

Thanks!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: fundraising
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:45 pm 

sandycheeks wrote:
I am considering helping out with fundraising for a local rec council children's dance organization activity. I don't know the details of the budget but I'm guessing that they are looking to offset costs for costumes, lighting, sound, and location rental fee costs etc. assocaited with a recital.

How about letting me know what fundraising approaches bugs you and what pulls at your heart (*cough cough* purse) strings?

Thanks!

Oy, I've done lots of fundraising, typically revolving around events. here are some ideas off the top of my head. if you want details, let me know.

The things I've found that work best are silent auctions. You can host a cocktail party/wine tasting and charge $15-35/person (depends on where you are and what you're serving) and then also have a silent auction going on. Get items/services donated from the community (have people involved in the org help you get this stuff) to sell. try to get the wine donated.

another thing that works well is to get one large item donated and sell raffle tickets for it. usually you only sell a certain number of tickets so people feel they have a chance to win. for example, i had a friend who got a 7 bedroom house on the OBX donated for a week and sold 100 $50 tickets. They raised a nice chunk of money but people were willing to pay $50 because their odds were decent and the value was a few thousand dollars.

Another option would be to have a 50/50 (or some other split) raffle where the org gets 50% and the winner gets 50% of the money. have the girls dress in their tutus (or whatever) and sell tickets at grocery stores. You could also see if a local theater would let you sell tickets in their lobby before/during/after shows since the people going are likely to have money and support the arts. Then have a party where you hold the drawingyou could do it at a restaurant/bar so people can get food/drinks (and you get 10% or some cut of the sales).

There are other things you can do, like selling advertising in the program, looking for a corporate sponsor, etc.

You could also start hosting an annual gala-type dinner but these are challenging to plan and require a large cash-outlay to get off the ground. I planned one a couple years ago that was hosted at the Embassy of Kuwait and it took months and months to plan but we raised over $100k.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: fundraising
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:08 pm 

pf101 wrote:
sandycheeks wrote:

Thanks!

Oy, I've done lots of fundraising, typically revolving around events. here are some ideas off the top of my head. if you want details, let me know.

The things I've found that work best are silent auctions. You can host a cocktail party/wine tasting and charge $15-35/person (depends on where you are and what you're serving) and then also have a silent auction going on. Get items/services donated from the community (have people involved in the org help you get this stuff) to sell. try to get the wine donated.

another thing that works well is to get one large item donated and sell raffle tickets for it. usually you only sell a certain number of tickets so people feel they have a chance to win. for example, i had a friend who got a 7 bedroom house on the OBX donated for a week and sold 100 $50 tickets. They raised a nice chunk of money but people were willing to pay $50 because their odds were decent and the value was a few thousand dollars.

Another option would be to have a 50/50 (or some other split) raffle where the org gets 50% and the winner gets 50% of the money. have the girls dress in their tutus (or whatever) and sell tickets at grocery stores. You could also see if a local theater would let you sell tickets in their lobby before/during/after shows since the people going are likely to have money and support the arts. Then have a party where you hold the drawingyou could do it at a restaurant/bar so people can get food/drinks (and you get 10% or some cut of the sales).

There are other things you can do, like selling advertising in the program, looking for a corporate sponsor, etc.

You could also start hosting an annual gala-type dinner but these are challenging to plan and require a large cash-outlay to get off the ground. I planned one a couple years ago that was hosted at the Embassy of Kuwait and it took months and months to plan but we raised over $100k.

WOW, You have done some high end fundraising! This is decidedly low-brow in comparison LOL . Last year they sold chocolate and pizza LOL I like the idea of the 50/50 raffle. It's something I'm familiar with but never thought of applying to this type of organization. Thanks.

My initial idea's have been to solicit a corporate sponsor and get people to buy adspace in the recital program. Last year I got my BIL to buy a business card sized ad (all they did was show a copy of the business card) in the program and it cost him a whopping $10. That's less than lunch for many people! He had a captive audience of hundreds of parents that saw that ad. I can almost guarantee that he made money off of it. Name recognition alone. I suspect that if we hit ad space hard, we could make a (relative) nice chunk of money.

After all, it's about making a rec council organization more affordable for community members. The alternative is parents spending 4 times as much for their children to attend the professional dance companies down the street.

Keep the comments coming!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:14 am 

What's the approximate size of the overall budget and how much time do you have to work on the fundraising side? I would check to see if there is a community foundation in your area that might make a grant for this kind of event.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill