Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:07 am

Post subject: Re: Saro's journal - or my road out of debt...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:40 am 

It's because it's holiday shopping time and we're being bombarded with buying!

Congrats again. If I were you, I would treat yourself to one thing as your congratulatory item (say the Roomba), and then go back to your budgeting or whatever. You do have a lot of things to buy in the future, so I would hold off on really splurging and start planning.

That's the problem with being fiscally responsible. One thing is paid off and then you have to start saving for the next. *sigh*

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:11 am 

Congratulations! Why don't you print out the webpage that says "paid in full" and tape it to your fridge or something where you can see it every day and feel a little thrill of pride? And yes, it's normal to feel like you want to splurge when you reach a goal like this. At least, it happens to me.

And congrats on the baby, too! :party:

CecilyC

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:52 pm 

Thanks to both of you! Y'know, I've also been looking at magazines, I wonder if that was influencing me too?

I think I've curbed the shopping tendency for now. I need new warm socks so I am putting in an order for warm, higher quality trouser socks and tights. After making that decision, my shopping gimmes eased a bit.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:55 am 

Congrats on getting that debt demolished.

And good on you for buying something for you. There's no point going through all that pain without a little bit of gain.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:24 pm 

:-D :-D :clap: That's awesome! Imagine all the things you'll be able to do with your money.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:15 am 

Thanks!

I am feeling better about how I am spending my money. I think I was paralyzed for a bit.

I have a list of things I want and am buying them, but trying not to get side tracked by other things.

So far I've purchased:
- two fancy new planners for 2012 - one for me and one for my husband. It was expensive by my standards but good quality and reusable = $69
- wool socks = $36
- Clothing, new set of towels, washcloths = $66

I am planning on purchasing some t-shirts and long-sleeved shirts for my husband and I think that's it for now. I wanted new set of sheets but I think that might be delayed until after Christmas and to see if there is anything good on ebay then...

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:34 pm 

Well, I went into pre-term labor, was on bedrest but still lost the baby. He was born alive but died the next day. I don't really have much else to say.

I won't be posting for a while, I can't really focus on our finances. Good luck to everyone on their journey.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:54 am 

Oh no! I'm so sorry. I understand you need a break. Take care of yourself. :worried:

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:03 am 

I am so sorry to hear this, saro - my heart goes out to you and your husband. Be good to each other. We'll all be thinking of you.

Cecily

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:03 pm 

I'm sorry to hear that saro, my condolences.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:39 am 

My condolences, truly sorry to hear this.
Take care.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:44 am 

So sorry to hear this, saro. My deepest condolences.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:44 pm 

Thanks everyone. It's difficult but we're coping.

I have been thinking deep thoughts about my finances and our support system. While this was a difficult and terrible situation, we do have a very strong support system. I have friends who have had to deal with this sort of thing all by themselves, so I am grateful. At least we didn't have to worry about money and my in-laws did my laundry and took care of everything while we were at the hospital (my family is out of town). My husband has been wonderful throughout this and it's good to know that I can depend on him in times of crisis.

It did ease our minds to have an emergency fund and also just know that we don't have to borrow money. I want to make sure (as much as I can) to always be in this position.

This situation would have been catastrophic to our finances and maybe even our relationship 2 years ago.

I also need to figure out next steps career-wise. I like my job alot and they were awesome while I was in the hospital, but I need more flexibility in my life. I'll just have to figure this out slowly. I am trying not to rush things (as I like to do!) so I just have to think it through slowly. I really want to start my own business but I am scared and I have a good job now (with health insurance). I also like my work...Hmm....

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:28 pm 

I was reading through your journal, as your first post struck me. You seemed to be completely desperate at that time. During reading it I came to feel very happy for you, you seemed to be in so much of a better place than you were a few years ago.

I know it's hardly a consolation, but in a few months time, read back to see how far you've come. And what you've already dealt with and overcome in your live. Debt is obviously uncomparable what's happened now, but it has put you in a much better and less stressfull place to deal with everything that's going on at the moment.

So take a time to give it a place in your live, and then look back at how strong you've become.

All the best, and good luck in the new year.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:27 am 

Thank you Sonja. You're right, I did feel desperate back then. I do feel stronger and more able to take care of myself and my family, if necessary - which is a wonderful feeling. I don't know what the future holds for us but I do feel lucky with all of the support I have around me. I don't think anyone is exempt from tragedy but hopefully I am handling it gracefully and am able to respect my little boy's memory.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5