Morydd's finance blog entries.

New! Use this space to post your goals, accomplishments, and setbacks on your path to get rich slowly. Others can read about your situation, and provide critiques and motivation. Look here to find somebody who has experienced a situation similar to yours!

Moderators: lvergon, Fiscal Fitness Moderator

morydd

Postby morydd » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:42 am

Well, we're reaching the end of my wife's maternity leave, and I'm happy to report that not only have we not had to dip into the emergency fund (despite an unexpected $700 in cat repair costs) we're actually running almost $1000 ahead of where we had planned. Part of this is due to some extra help from family, but most of it is simply because we have apparently developed good habits financially. We haven't even really worked all that hard on keeping expenses down, because avoiding them has become second nature.
So far, so good. The next challenge is to figure out what's next for me, as my job ends in Sept. Right now all of our insurance (as well as tranist benefits and flex spending and retirement savings) is coming from my job. Yipe. We've got a lot of thinking to do.
Father of Aiden Thomas Dec 10, 2004-Dec 15, 2004 and Dean Paul June 12, 2008

morydd

Postby morydd » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:53 am

Looks like the emergency fund may come in handy in the very near future. Last night, the apartment was seeming hit by lighting and my abundance of electronics has suffered. By my first check, we lost the living room TV, the bedroom Tivo, both wireless routers, the network switch, and the DVD recorder. I'll also need to replace all the surge protectors, and put some sort of surge protection on the network and the cable (I think that's where the spike came in.) The landlord will probably have to replace the stove, and the cable modem may or may not be dead. Whee!

Although the renter's insurance is supposed to cover replacement value, I recall from when my bike was stolen, you don't get to just give them a list and the cut you a check minus the deductable, but they cut you a check for the current value minus deductable and then you have to submit reciepts to get the rest of the money back. Bleah.
Father of Aiden Thomas Dec 10, 2004-Dec 15, 2004 and Dean Paul June 12, 2008

Return to “Fiscal Fitness Journals”