Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:50 am

Post subject: My 1st Marathon
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:11 pm 

While this isn't exactly related to finance I like the idea of setting a goal and tracking it online for others to review and comment on in a journal type way.

I'd like to learn a bit more about blogging so I decided to create a blog to help me keep track of my efforts, what I'm learning along the way, and posting about my achievements and failures.

My goal is to run a Marathon. I've never done much running before but have been always been involved in athletics. I feel that a great way for me to start learning to control aspects of my life is through tough discipline and training. Hopefully I'll learn character traits from my efforts that I can use to keep control of my finances and meet my financial goals and accomplishments.

Anyways, Most details will be posted at http://www.26miles385yards.com but I'll post snapshot highlights here in this thread also.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, Latro. One of my goals is to complete a marathon, too. I'm not saying that I have to run the entire distance, but I do want to walk/run the whole thing. I don't have a timeline yet, either. I'll be following your story with interest!

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:25 am 

Thanks for the support JD, I hope that keeping this blog will be 1 extra motivator to push me forward.

From today's Post

Quote:
I’ve thought about adding running to my daily activities for some time and even asked my wife to get me the Nike+ equipment to go with my iPod Nano this past Christmas. I thought at the time that if I spent money on an idea I’d be sure to quickly pick up the life habit and start my way to accomplishing my goals. Unfortunately I was wrong and never did anything with the equipment until this past May 1st.

If interested you can read more about http://www.26miles385yards.com/2007/05/04/my-first-mile/.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Great book for your 1st marathon
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:37 pm 

I highly recommend "The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer". There is both physical and mental training exercises. It basically takes you from the couch to the marathon in a little over 4 months. I used their training program to do my first (and only) marathon, and while I didn't set any records, I felt great at the end. Enjoy!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:43 pm 

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to check it out. So just our of curiousity, do you have any desire to run another one?

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:28 am 

Marathon Registrations are opening. I haven't decided which Marathon I'll register for but the Marine Corps Marathon here in the Washington D.C. Area is accepting registrations. Here is a snippet of my blog on http://www.26miles385yards.com/2007/05/08/marine-corps-marathon/:

Quote:
The Marathon seems to be extremely organized and looks to be a beautiful run through parts of Northern Virginia and our Nation’s Capital. In addition to the Marathon, the race also includes a 10K for people not yet ready for the full 26 miles 385 yards. A Boot Camp will also be offered the weekend of the event that allows people to participate in an extreme Marine style training workout. Personally, the Boot Camp sounds much more intimidating than the marathon itself.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:31 am 

I've started researching marathons and running in general. In addition to completing the training requirements I'm hoping to learn what it takes for me to be successful in the run. From my recent http://www.26miles385yards.com/:

Quote:
To be truly successful, everything in life requires more than just showing up. It requires more than putting in the minimum required levels that others tell you will get you to the end. I’ve come to understand that to achieve something, whether it be learning a new language, becoming financially stable, or training for an important athletic event life requires you to not only want to reach a mark, but you have to meet that mark with the conditions you’ve set for yourself.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:52 am 

I experienced my first injury during my training and talk about it on my blog. I also updated the page with a new theme and added some features.

I've been able to run about 4 miles a week and play basketball for about 4 hours a week additionally. Next week I'll be picking up the distance... of course, if my foot is feeling better.

Quote:
My injury is something small. A muscle on the side of my foot feels like a rock. It hurts when I step, and especially hurts when I step and pivot to the side. I’ve been walking it off but will be sure to take some time to recover before I continue my training. Interestingly, the pain goes away completely if I walk on the ball of my foot and never let my ankle hit the floor.

Check out more about http://www.26miles385yards.com.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:54 am 

My foot has healed... It must have just been from a bit of over use. Hopefully I'll be able to prepare for these type of injury's also. I realized that I need to really loose some weight if I plan on running successfully.

Quote:
In my mind I was sure I was running a 6 minute or slightly slower mile pace and was convinced that I was getting back near the shape I was in my senior year of high school. You should have seen how surprised I was when I finshed and the light voice on my iPod announced I had completed my fastest mile time since starting to train (Which happens to also be the fastest time in the bast 5 years). At that moment I knew I was fast again… But I was wrong. The voice continued “Your fastest mile is 7 minutes 43 seconds, Congratulations”. http://www.26miles385yards.com/2007/05/14/6-minute-mile-think-again/

While the time isn't something to be ashamed of, I realized I weigh a lot more now than I use to and that is impacting my time. I need to shed a bunch of weight if I expect training to be as successful as I hope. Thankfully the training will help keep me motivated to eat healthier.
[/url][/u]

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:54 am 

I ran 4 miles on Saturday. It was part of my training schedule. It was the first time I ever ran 4 miles consecutively to just run 4 miles. http://www.26miles385yards.com/2007/05/21/4-miles-a-bit-tougher-than-expected/

Quote:
I made sure I was mentally ready also and constantly reminded myself through my workout that I had to push myself and keep a decent pace. I have a lot of personal and business goals that I’m working to accomplish lately and I have this feeling that if I fail at one of them I’ll fail at the rest. While it adds a lot of pressure it also keeps me running through my workouts. I’m still young, I probably need the pressure.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

I'm going to be working with Lauren, my wellness coach, on fitness again starting at the end of the month. I've been walking a lot, but have done no running. I want to do some running!

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:38 pm 

Great, I've really enjoyed working out and training. My brother-in-law recently started running about 8 miles a day. He keeps talking of this "runners high" he gets. Says it feels great both mentally and physically to accomplish the distances. I hope I get there soon. For me, its still HARD work.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:12 am 

I Recently came across a blog about an upcoming documentary on marathon runners. The blog looks great, hopefully the movie is also. Read about http://www.26miles385yards.com/2007/05/23/athlete-the-movie/ and some links to various sites about the documentary.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

One of my problems with running is that I have a bum knee. I tore out my ACL a few years ago, and had it replaced. Still, the knee is sore. I tried running some last summer, and basically hurt the knee again. It was sore for weeks. I'm going to contact my physical therapist about this, actually, to get some advice.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:37 pm 

I understand the frustration. My brother had his knee replaced and now can only play basketball about once every two weeks. He says that light jogging makes his leg stronger, so maybe you just need to get out at a CONTROLLED effort. Make sure you don't push your knee harder than it can take it.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator Go to page 1, 2  Next