adventures in the black

New! Use this space to post your goals, accomplishments, and setbacks on your path to get rich slowly. Others can read about your situation, and provide critiques and motivation. Look here to find somebody who has experienced a situation similar to yours!

Moderators: lvergon, Fiscal Fitness Moderator

fantasma

Re: adventures in the black

Postby fantasma » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:55 am

galactic wrote:scheduled the last payment tonight. that plus tomorrow's auto-debit will give us a balance of

$0!!!

will not believe this is true until i see the zero balance on the website. still, well.... whoa.

also not believing the net worth numbers right now.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Congrats!
Be what you want to attract.

Sam

Postby Sam » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:30 am

Hooray, pop the cork on some champagne, that is what we did when we paid off Mr. Sam's grad school student loans and the last debt on our debt snowball.
Sam

http://adventures-of-sam.blogspot.com
(Follow Sam's financial and real estate adventures.)

Panda

Postby Panda » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:11 am

Congrats!!!! What a fantastic milestone.

bpgui

Postby bpgui » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:24 pm

galactic wrote:will not believe this is true until i see the zero balance on the website. still, well.... whoa.

If your anything like me, you'll be checking the website ever 5 minutes until it appears. I hope it posts on the website before the close of business Friday or it'll be an anxious weekend waiting. :lol:

peachy

Postby peachy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:49 am

Party time!! hee hee.
Great job, galactic. It's been a long time coming.

PS. Did your hubs ever get to see the space shuttle? I'm feeling lazy and don't want to go back through the thread.

CecilyC

Postby CecilyC » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:07 am

galactic wrote:scheduled the last payment tonight. that plus tomorrow's auto-debit will give us a balance of

$0!!!

will not believe this is true until i see the zero balance on the website. still, well.... whoa.

also not believing the net worth numbers right now.

Congratulations!!!!! Feels great, doesn't it???

I agree with Peachy. Pop the champagne open and celebrate!

Cecily

galactic

Postby galactic » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:24 pm

thanks all! what a day. we celebrated with a nice seafood dinner at home. it was lovely.

i checked the account tonight- and found they charged me interest over the weekend and posted the payment today. so i still owe them $0.21.

@#(&*^#%)(&$^*&%@#(*#(%&#&^%#

i hate you with every ounce of my existence, sallie mae.

scheduled the "other" last payment to go out tomorrow, and cancelled the auto-debit that they never gave me an interest rate break for enrolling in... this better be the end, for real.

saro

Postby saro » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:26 pm

Ugh, same thing happened to me.

Whatever, it will still be over soon! Congrats!!

galactic

Postby galactic » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:28 pm

finally!!!!!!!!! zero balance. took them long enough to process it.

oh, peachy- he did see the shuttle! we have a small balance on the credit card from that, so we won't be debt free completely until that gets taken care of at the end of the month. he loved it, it was a once-in-a-lifetime dream come true kind of experience. i'm really glad he got to do it.

galactic

Postby galactic » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:13 pm

got another paycheck and paid off the little balance on the card- so we're debt free for real now! everything we own is paid for, including our respective degrees.

wow! hard to believe. we've worked so hard and given up so much- this is a great feeling. we're kind of absorbing it all.

for right now we're taking a month to catch up with some long-term wants that we've been putting off. not the embarrassingly cheap simple things like the last time, thankfully. (well- one or two exceptions.) and not impulse things, but things we've been making note of along the way and we have use for. also, we've been talking about getting a nicer TV as a reward for paying off these student loans. shopping for these things is actually hard work, i've developed an aversion to shopping!

we were living pretty nicely, by our standards, even with the heavy debt repayment. so we're going to redirect that debt repayment money to building our savings up. we're looking at a big number if we ever want to make a 20% down payment on a house locally. we're also going to want savings for a replacement car for husband- we have been pushing that purchase off for a long time now and it will have to happen sooner than later.

bpgui

Postby bpgui » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:36 pm

Congratulations. That is great.

Certainly go out and reward yourself.

Savarel

Postby Savarel » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:27 pm

Yeah, congrats! Great job.

galactic

Postby galactic » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:25 pm

so i checked our records against the amortization tables. compared to making scheduled payments on the loans, we saved literally just a few dollars shy of ten grand.

cool.

Sam

Postby Sam » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:12 am

i checked the account tonight- and found they charged me interest over the weekend and posted the payment today. so i still owe them $0.21.

Ugh .21 left over. Congrats on killing off Sallie Mae. Great job paying off that debt, way to go saving $10,000 in interest.
Sam

http://adventures-of-sam.blogspot.com
(Follow Sam's financial and real estate adventures.)

galactic

Postby galactic » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:37 pm

i'm back! (from our little break from financial diligence.)

the results are interesting.
1- we've finally fulfilled some long-term wants, since we earned them. a number of little ones and one big one. it feels good.
2- the really big-deal thing for my spouse was the fancy tv... he found a floor display model the store wanted to get rid of. i talked them down a little more from the price tag- we got a good deal on it, and spouse is just elated that his hitting the pavement worked out. i am ambivalent about televisions, but i think it looks nice.

funny:
3- despite the major unusual indulgences, we still managed to put a fair amount of money away this month.

net worth is nearing 30k, retirement contributions (and free-money matches) kicking along well. at our current rate we will have a 20% down payment for a house (in our guesstimated price range) at the end of our next annual apartment lease. though i suspect we'll want to have a bit more in the ready for closing costs and etc.

spouse is waiting to hear on a "promotion" - not really a promotion but a move up in specialization that comes with a bump in pay. that would accelerate us even more! it will probably take a while, but it's a nice thing to look forward to.

Return to “Fiscal Fitness Journals”