thank you, Cecily! funny how these things wind up coming together at the same time. i can only hope things keep on going this well.
wow! we did it! 50% of our planned down payment is now saved. i can't believe it.
what a year.
- started off by paying off the last student loan balances in the springtime
- got a great deal on a used car for spouse and strategically took out a smaller-than-we-needed, low-rate loan to build a relationship with our credit union. paid the rest in cash.
- socked away a bunch for retirement (401k for him + fully funded IRAs for each of us.)
- net worth from just above zero to "how did we do that?"
- and now reached 50% of our down payment!
somehow we've even made room to enjoy life a little bit, and recover smoothly from the occasional rough patch in the road.
spouse's new/better paying job runs for several months, and we're going to make use of this nicer pay rate while we can. we have a fully funded emergency fund, but with a baby on the way we're going to increase the balance on that next. we're going to pre-pay a lot of the anticipated medical expenses, and put some money away in case we reach out-of-pocket max coinsurance this coming year. and of course, keep on pushing as much toward this down payment thing as possible. not that we urgently want to buy a house next year, but we want it to be an option sooner than later, should we decide to go for it.