Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:02 am

Post subject: Re: Sledward's Goals
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:38 am 

Well first post here in a long time.....

Job is still around for now....(We should know more in a month or less....)

Emerg. Fund is up to $4000
We have two expenses on the jeep coming up, an alignment, and a new rear door that will need to be painted.

I am going to use the tax return to pay for those two things, and with luck will have enough left to go out for dinner.

I have cancelled my cell phone, and she has moved hers down to a regular plan rather than the blackberry data plan, saving another $50 a month there.

What else....hrmm.....I suspect that because easter falls on the day of mom's accident and it's only been a year Dad will want us to drive down, so that will run us about $500, (ofcourse we aim for that, and usually end up only spending 3/5's of that.)

I feel better about the situation and every month I add $1000 to the emerg. fund.....which tends to keep it above $4000, but I decided to pay off ALL debts (other than that damn jeep....) so we're hovering at the $4K mark.

I am kind of rambling this all off as I am at work.....but I will add up more of the numbers and see how I compare to where I was last year at this time.

No Credit card debt again really feels good.....last year at this time I was in the same boat, but stuff happens.....

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:27 am 

Sounds like you've made some good changes.
Definitely, go visit your dad. I'm glad you budgeted for the trip. I thought it was funny that you said you only used 3/5ths of the money. hee hee. I teach math as a second job, and my students never think they need to use fractions. I will use your example as to why they should learn/know them. :)

Take care.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:58 pm 

Seems to be a trend where I post once a year hahahah!!!

Well, an update.

I am married. We stuck to a low budget of $7500 for the wedding, had a gift of $4000 from my Dad for a wedding. We actually feel guilty about it, but that brings the total up to 11500 for the wedding.

I guess we could ahve been cheap, but I would never make someone pay for a beer at my house, so I gave each guest 5 free drink tickets. It was a great time.

I also paid for my tuxedo, so that I own it. $1000 there, where I could have spent $200. Thing is, I wear my tuxedo once a month.

We also bought a house. The payments are ever so slightly more than what we were paying in rent, but we own the place. We save on heating because we heat with wood. We own 80 acres, so we harvest trees from our own lot. We also have a solar setup which will lower our utility bill starting in the spring when I install it (DIY, so I can save there.)

I think I am on track. (sure i have debt still, but hey....I am still paying it all off.)

what else.....the Company is no longer in bankrupcy protection so I feel my job is more stable.....and we're reading the book "your money or your life" and it's changed everything for us.

Rather than watching a movie every night before bed, we talk money. We talk dreams, and we just talk.. it's AWESOME. Just when I thought we couldnt be any closer, this just opened up everything and we're so close. To the point that we'll wake one another up in the middle of the night to share a dream about what ever it was we were talking about.

If you follow the steps in the Your Money or your life.... we realized that sure we were VERY foolish to buy the vehicles in our "younger" days....lol....if we can say that, but we feel we're doing very well for ourselves, and on track to be out of debt completely (including house) within 6 years!!

Now, retirement savings....(Come to think of it, that's better left for another post....maybe we'll both write it up tonight, and post in the morning. )

Take care all!! and happy new year!!!!!

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:16 pm 

Congrats on the wedding! How's it going with the Jeep? Would you buy it again if you had the choice(now)? That's awesome news about the house....six years! :rock:

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:12 am 

I would buy a jeep again, no question asked there. Would I buy NEW again? No. At least not unless I had 50% saved up to pay down.

6 years is our goal. WE're on track....but again, this all depends on energy prices etc etc... if they go up, we might have to pay $100 less per month onto debt. so it could be a little longer. But I expect we wont have to see the Banksters again after this 5 year term is up.

We find when we're off track and the goals might not be met, we feel terrible and really strive to get back and catch up!

In the note about energy. I was able to cut my bill down by nearly 3 kWh a day, by converting a freezer into a fridge. UNREAL! - Maybe I'll start a blog or someting about that stuff.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3